Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

scholarships for Aspergers

mdcisspmdcissp Posts: 2,494Registered User Senior Member
edited September 2011 in Parents Forum
By any chance, does anyone know of any organization which offers scholarships for Aspergers students? I know that there are all kinds of scholarships out there and was hoping to learn of any places where my son could write an essay and fill out the application form to try to win a scholarship.
Post edited by mdcissp on

Replies to: scholarships for Aspergers

• moonchildmoonchild Posts: 2,703Registered User Senior Member
    I've never heard of any. Aspies are often very good students, so maybe they aren't seen as needing special funding.
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Posts: 11,351Registered User Senior Member
    Someone would have to first clearly define how "Asperger's", for the purposes of the scholarship at least, was going to be defined. Even the DSM folks in the APA can't seem to agree.

"In making the recommendation to delete Asperger’s disorder, the following questions were considered:"
    http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevisions/Pages/proposedrevision.aspx?rid=97#
  • limabeanslimabeans Posts: 4,704Registered User Senior Member
    There are scholarships for kids who struggle with particular learning disabilities and other challenges, like blindness, CP, cancer, etc. just like there are scholarships for other specific interests, like skateboarders etc, etc. But, Asperger's is becoming so common that it's not unique (and when the it was less common, it was totally misunderstood). You might want to investigate other avenues, like where your child was diagnosed (I know some hospitals had scholarships) or received services. You might also want to investigate the company where you work, or the town where you live, or HS where your kid attends.
  • scansmomscansmom Posts: 1,523Registered User Senior Member
    One scholarship that I have often seen mentioned on various autism sites is the Schwalle Family Scholarship offered through OAR:

Schwallie Family Scholarship Program

A couple more sites that may have some other possibilities:

Autism Scholarships - Educational - U.S. - Disability Scholarships

Asperger Syndrome College Scholarships

you might also check out some of the general college scholarship search sites like Fastweb etc since they often list scholarships for students with disabilities/LDs.
  • missypiemissypie Posts: 16,629Registered User Senior Member
    Son applied for the Schwallie last year - it's a pretty decent amount. The rejection letter made it sound like he made it past the first cut. The winners had awesome resumes...testified before their state legislature, started their own non-profit, etc. The kinds of things you'd expect to see of neurotypical scholarship winners.
  • PisceschickPisceschick Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    I have Asperger's. I was diagnosed on January 24, 2008. There are not a lot of kids with Asperger's at my school. I am in the tenth grade. I also have anxiety. Those two are a bad mix. I had three anxiety attacks all in one day, all in one hour.
  • limabeanslimabeans Posts: 4,704Registered User Senior Member
    Pisceschick, your issues are similar to my son's. Anxiety and Asperger's. It's a tough combination. Just make sure you have a few people you can talk to, you can trust. And your parents: include your parents too.

And you know what? There are a lot more kids who have Asperger's than you'd expect.
  • PisceschickPisceschick Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    True. I know a few people who you would think to have Asperger's. There are scholarships for a lot of crazy things. Why not Asperger's??? I am tired of people thinking that just because Asperger's is a form of autism does not mean that we are not like other people. Some of my teachers did not know that I had Asperger's until I told them. They just thought that I was I really smart student, who did all their work and who made good grades. There should be scholarships for Asperger's. My parents want me to look for scholarships already.
  • cynda828cynda828 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    OAR has the Schwallie Scholarship which is a $3000.oo scholarship which requires the student to write an essay and complete an application. Also is Massachusetts the MRC, Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission has money available it is usually a $5000 one time payment but helpful. Check with your local commission to see if they have something similar