Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

People to People...a scam?

linkmaster1linkmaster1 Posts: 55Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2011 in Parents Forum
HI!

So today, I was invited to study in Europe in the summer. They I was identified as a result of my participation in the PSAT.

I'm just wondering if this is a scam or not, and if I should reply to this letter.

This is with the people to people program.
Post edited by linkmaster1 on

Replies to: People to People...a scam?

• GoldOwlGoldOwl Posts: 759Registered User Member
    It's not a scam but it's probably not something worth responding to (unless if you really want to got to Europe). A lot of people get recommended by teachers to go so it's really not selective...as long as you have the money, you can go.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 5,059Registered User Senior Member
    Agreed that it's not a "scam" per se, but it is expensive. My neighbor across the street just participated in a people to people program for 3 weeks in Australia. He had a wonderful experience.
  • missypiemissypie Posts: 16,625Registered User Senior Member
    I wouldn't call it a "scam." I just think that by making it seem special, some people are willing to pay over inflated costs for travel opportunities. I think that our whole family could have traveled in Europe for what People to People wanted to charge only for D.
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Posts: 24,853Registered User Senior Member
    It's not selective. It's not something that impresses college. You can take a family to 4 for a European vacation for what People to People charges one student. (I know, I actually did that one summer with my family, visiting many of the places where People to People took students).

If you have the money and can afford it, it can be fun.
  • MomLiveMomLive Posts: 2,363Registered User Senior Member
    It's not a scam. When we were traveling through Australia we saw a big group of students at the airport traveling with People to People. You couldn't miss them, they had on matching t-shirts and were carrying a banner. We tried to get son interested in it to no avail.

I can't speak to the quality of the program but it does exist.
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Posts: 15,748Registered User Senior Member
    You'll find multiple threads on this if you search cc, but they pretty much come down to the same conclusion: not a scam in that there is a trip involved and many participants have had worthwhile experiences, but it's expensive and not as prestigious as the company would have you believe.
  • MicapkaMicapka Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    I'm not sure if most of the people here know alot about the P2P, it actually IS A SCAM! (caps lol) They make the price really steep, so they can make profit. My friends was actually in the program, and he told me it was a joke. There do half the things they promised and have a horrible quality of "education."

If you have money & time & GOOD HEALTH(see link) then you'll be fine.

Here's the site that show you why it actually is a "scam":

Consumer complaints about People to People
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Posts: 24,853Registered User Senior Member
    I personally wouldn't find it a great international experience to be traveling abroad with a large group of obvious Americans. I think that under such circumstances, one becomes far more familiar with other Americans than with people living in the foreign countries that you visit.

However, it could be a good experience for people who'd enjoy something like that and who might not get to travel internationally otherwise.
  • robinsuesandersrobinsuesanders Posts: 485Registered User Member
    S went on a P2P tour of Russia and Eastern Europe about two years ago. Yes, it was expensive. No, it's not selective. But the one thing it did for S is that it helped him decide that he really did want to do a full year exchange program in high school to Russia. And it also helped him sort out why he wanted to spend the year abroad in Russia instead of Germany, which he was also considering. He wound up applying to the NSLI-Y program and much to his pleasure he was one of the ten students selected for the NSLI-Y year long program to Russia last year. Since NSLI-Y paid for everything, including a small stipend, I think that we did manage to get our money's worth out of P2P because his experience on P2P had helped him sort out the "why Russia?" question for his NSLI-Y application. But I do think my S represents an exceptionally odd-ball case.
  • somemomsomemom Posts: 9,120Registered User Senior Member
    It is not particularly selective and will not be any great benefit to college applications, but it could be a fun experience. If you have the money to spare and it sounds fun, it could be fine.
  • ksarmandksarmand Posts: 2,743Registered User Senior Member
    They make the price really steep, so they can make profit.

Simply because they make a profit doesn't mean it's a scam.

Anyway, I don't think it's worth the money. In my opinion, there are better ways to spend one's summer. Don't drain your wallet.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Posts: 22,585Registered User Senior Member
    I don't call it a scam. I've known kids who have really enjoyed the experience and would not have gotten foreign travel other wise at that time.

What I dislike about such programs, is that there is a distinct inference that there is some reward aspect in being selected for consideration, and that participating in such programs can enhance your acceptance chances for college. Those things are not true.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 57,770Registered User Senior Member
    I think it's over-priced. A friend spent over $7k for her middle-school D to go to Australia last year...and she doesn't have money to blow. She could have spent $7k and have taken her D herself!
  • EmmyBetEmmyBet Posts: 2,933Registered User Senior Member
    We chose to allow our D to go the summer after 9th grade. There were many reasons why it was worth it to us and to her. We thought it was an excellent program. She did things that people otherwise can't do when they are traveling abroad - raise flags at Normandy, meet public officials (like a Member of Parliament). But there are many other excellent experiences people can have with the same money. She doesn't expect it to make a difference on her college applications, but it made a difference to her personally. She gave up some other privileges to be able to afford it.

Also, our HS gave social studies credit to her, which was very helpful.
  • abasketabasket Posts: 7,959Registered User Senior Member
    My to-be 8th grader received a letter last week inviting her to travel to Australia next summer. :) She won't be going!

I do have good friends that have used this with their children. They have always had a big traveling budget and often plan trips for their kids with and without parents.