Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What to bring to campus

collegemom17collegemom17 Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
Does anyone know if there is a 'list' of what kids should bring to school? also, how does it work on move in day, August 21? Everytime we go to UP we have to park near the Stadiums, how close do they let you park to move the kids stuff in? We do have hotel reservations for the night before and that night.
Post edited by collegemom17 on

Replies to: What to bring to campus

• lil_killer129lil_killer129 Posts: 4,706Registered User Senior Member
    Here are some suggestions by current students:
    PSU Forums - The First Penn State Online Community Forum • View topic - What to bring?

As for the parking, you can park really close to the residence hall. I believe you can get as close as 10-20 feet from the residence hall to unload your stuff. You won't have to go all the way to the stadium.
  • collegemom17collegemom17 Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
    thanks very much Killer. I did not know about that forum. good suggestions.
  • corker7890corker7890 Posts: 31Registered User New Member
    My sister will be a junior this year at main campus, and I am her little sister (future psu student 2009..hopefully!) so I'm pretty familiar with the whole process. Basically, move in day is little chaotic, but a good experience. You should expect quite a bit of traffic, so an earlier start might be the best way to go (there's probably no way of avoiding it though!). She actually stayed in West dorms, right by the IST building, because that's her major. We pulled in into the road beside the dorm (there will be students there giving out information), and you are permitted 15 minutes to park there and unload everything. I got the wonderful job of guarding the pile of stuff while my mom found a place to park, and my sister retrieved her keys. They have carts to roll in your items (we lost one of our bags, but the mentors eventually found it). This is pretty much the move-in-day process. It can be pretty eventful...

Items to Bring: My sister and mom went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond to buy everything for her room...
    -bed risers (i would def. get these!..u can store stuff under the bed easily)
    -comforter (bed in a bag)
    -matress pad
    -plastic bins (store food, etc.)
    -garbage can
    -power-strip for computer (there is a certain process you go through in order to get the wireless internet...but I'm not familiar with it so that might be a question to ask unless you're computer savvy...I'm not)
    -fan! (west dorms tend to be warm even in the winter..I'm not sure about the others...but it will be warm)

well, I can't think of anything else...hope i was able to help! Good Luck.!!
  • cagb1016cagb1016 Posts: 188Registered User Junior Member
    Corker, you pretty much summed it up. Good luck next year. A few additional items: hangers, a LONG ethernet cord (I don't think the dorms are actually wireless yet and the plug for your connection might be across the room from where your desk is --d's was), area rug (you might be able to get this after you get up there), girls only-- a caddy to take your stuff to the shower.
    I remember this being a very exhausting day. We got there around 9:30 AM and were busy unpacking and cleaning (the rooms appeared clean, but I figure you never know about germs). It was pretty hot in the room so that made it uncomfortable. D had to go over to the commons to get her internet set up (I think they changed this now and you can do it online before you go up there). They had students there to help you unload and I think they do a pretty good job managing the crowd for such a big school.
    We will be there again in August to drop our freshman son off.
  • karp4170karp4170 Posts: 567Registered User Member
    Definitely bring a fan. Also, extra lighting (desk lamps) are something to be considered. These items can conceivably be picked up at BB&B or Walmart (there is a huge one just a few miles from campus) in State College if necessary, but the stores might end up being 'out of stock'.
  • reasonwhyreasonwhy Posts: 129Registered User Junior Member
    Another thing to consider - one of those foam mattress toppers (have a waffle-y appearance) that go on top of the mattress and under a mattress pad. We bought one today because my S is going up to campus for summer session this Sunday (June 29th). He'll be in Ritner Hall. He might need it, depending on the state of the mattress). I'll let you know -
    Does anyone know what that white towel looking thing that comes with the bed is for?
  • saxsax Posts: 4,264Registered User Senior Member
    It's just a cheap mattress pad to keep mattress clean.Just make your bed over it. Might consider a mattress cover.
  • reasonwhyreasonwhy Posts: 129Registered User Junior Member
    We moved my S into one of the Pollock halls on Saturday. The mattresses are in good condition, but we did use a waffley foam mattress topper and our own fitted mattress pad on top of that - all on top of the little mattress pad thing they provide.
  • homeruncarlhomeruncarl Posts: 14Registered User New Member
    does anyone know if you can bring your own mattress because i for one do not want to sleep on some nasty old mattress even with a foam pad underneath
  • psualum80psualum80 Posts: 210Registered User Junior Member
    There is a WalMart nearby on West Atherton. When we moved in our D we went there to pick up a few extras. It is crazy busy there but they have pretty much everything you need or anything you may forget :-)
    does anyone know if you can bring your own mattress because i for one do not want to sleep on some nasty old mattress even with a foam pad underneath
    Yes. You can definitely bring your own. You can also request the housing people to take the old mattress that they give you away, and they will put it back at the end of the semester for you.
  • 1moremom1moremom Posts: 3,812Registered User Senior Member
    There is also a second Walmart on Rte 26, which might be a little less busy. BB&B is close to that store, also Sam's. There is a Target not too far from the N Atherton Walmart.
  • orchid317orchid317 Posts: 25Registered User New Member
    Last year they had a list of things to bring - I'm pretty sure it was posted on eLiving. You'll definitely need an ethernet cord if you want to use the internet in your dorm! & you can park in the lot next to your dorm. Move in day is hectic but exciting - you don't really do anything other than lug in all your stuff and arrange your room. I suggest keeping your door open so neighbors will stop by and introduce themselves :)
  • momwritermomwriter Posts: 269Registered User Junior Member
    Be prepared to walk (and carry stuff) from quite a distance if necessary. We moved our S in two weeks ago, and were not allowed anywhere near the dorm because there was such congestion/craziness in that area. The parking staff made us park in an area about 6 or 7 blocks from the dorm. Finally we just scouted out our own spot near the dorm and snuck past the parking staff.