my son just finished his Freshman year at Pomona
It was a fabulous year and had none of the angst that often goes with the first year of college
here are a few things he shared with me:
1. Academics are appropriately challenging but not overwhelming. I was worried about this . He was on the lowish end for admission and 10 years before his older brother went to Harvey Mudd- several of the Mudd kids flunked out freshman year. It does not sound like this is the case at Pomona and even though my son played a sport and had hours of practice a day the workload was doable
2. He found most of the other students to be very likeable people. He says there are 5% who are arrogant but they are a very small minority
3. He though the professors were good and the teaching was stimulating- he learned a lot
4. students frequently work together and there is little or no discussion of grades.
5. I cannot answer about the social scene but my son was never lacking for something to do and although we live close enough for him to come home on weekends, he never did because he always had plans with friends