Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Chances of getting into a dental school? 10 W's on transcript..

duttchduttch Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Well my first two years of college were a huge flop. I withdrew from most of my classes and failed the majority of the rest. At the end of those two years I ended up with a 1.6gpa. After my second year I decided to move home and make some personal changes, such as depression counseling, got back on ADD medication, and went through substance abuse counseling. Took a year off from school, worked at a hospital, and then went to school for a year at a community college to bring my gpa back up for readmission to a state university(OKstate). At the community college I took a total of 26 hours over the year and made straight A's, reenrolled at OKstate and made straight A's and 2 B's in a chemical engineering/pre-health major. As of now I currently have 35 hours left to complete and am wondering if I should even pursue dental or medical school. Some thoughts? Should I continue to focus on dental or put my efforts towards a chemical engineering profession?
Some other background- During high school I accumulated 300 volunteer hours at a local hospital, and accumulated 100 at the same hospital during college. I've shadowed several dentists for probably around 60 hours total. At the state university I became involved in 2 pre-health clubs and a dentist club. Will these extracurricular activities help my chances at all?

Replies to: Chances of getting into a dental school? 10 W's on transcript..

• dentmom4dentmom4 Registered User Posts: 960 Member
    Make an appointment with your pre-health advisor and ask their opinion.
  • umcoe16umcoe16 Registered User Posts: 693 Member
    Asking a pre-health advisor would be your best bet. Otherwise, I think you are not at a point of no return. You probably have to explain what happened, but the turnaround you made should help.