Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What is Science GPA?

neoanderzneoanderz Posts: 13Registered User New Member
edited December 2005 in Pre-Med Topics
I am a senior in college changing my mind towards medicine. I am currently a computer science major. My current overall GPA is a little over 3.5. However I am very worried about the science GPA. What courses EXACTLY does it include? Are my computer science courses considered science? Does science just mean Bio 1/2, Chem 1/2, Organic 1/2, Physics 1/2, Calc 1, and labs? I am very worried, here are my science grades (I got 3 C+'s):

Chem 1: C+ Lab: A
Chem 2: B Lab: Withdrawal (I would have had an A, damnit)
Physics 1: A Lab: A
Physics 2: B Lab: B+
Physics 3: C+
Calc 1: B
Calc 2: A
Calc 3, Diff Eq, Linear Algebra, Vector Analysis: All B's
12 Computer Science courses: All A's except 1 B+
5 more physics classes: C+, A, A-, B, B

Other withdrawals: advanced Physics Lab (never retook it), Diff Eq (first time I took it), scuba diving (I have asthma)

I have not taken biology or organic chem yet. Next semester I am taking Bio 1, and retaking both Chem 1 and Chem 2. These will not overwrite my old chem grades, but I am determined to take them over to prepare for MCAT/organic (I took chemistry four years ago). Then I will finish organic and bio (and maybe take some more bio courses). I am fully determined to get A's in all of these courses. Assuming I do, do you think I have a chance of getting into med school with these science grades? Are my upper level physics courses considered or just the "core med courses"?
Post edited by neoanderz on

Replies to: What is Science GPA?

• morganmorgan Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    bump this thread. Is computer science class considered as science class? I am wondering this too.
  • morganmorgan Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    Let me reply to myself. Computer "science" is a science class, but it does not considered in BCMP GPA right?
  • astrifeastrife Posts: 484Registered User Member
    You might have a chance at your state med school. However, I'm suspecting that you are probably going to need to do some grad school work and some research/volunteer stuff to boost your chances. If you can make 32+ on your MCAT though you will be golden and will most assuredly get in somewhere, so I would work really hard to master the test. Medicore grades with a good MCAT isn't ideal, but it's better than medicore grades and a medicore mcat score.
  • Sookunfyooz3dSookunfyooz3d Posts: 214Registered User Junior Member
    make up for the Chem 1 course and you should be fine. Since the other C+ were in upper level courses, they shouldn't recieve as much weight.