Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Yale or State Flagship for pre-med? Please help. :)

124»

Replies to: Yale or State Flagship for pre-med? Please help. :)

• entomomentomom Posts: 23,658Registered User Senior Member
    I know that you're just guessing, but I find it hard to believe that there's a SOM that limits its students to coming from 6-10 undergrads.

I just want to clarify what I said in post #32, as I think that I may not have read underachievers comment closely enough when I posted.

What I recall BDM said, help me here mcat2, was that there are 10 or fewer UG colleges that can give applicants a boost in med school admissions, not that there are med schools that only accept from 10 or less UG colleges.

Sorry for any confusion.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,644Registered User Senior Member
    ^^^

Oh it wasn't your post that I was referring to. :)

Yes, I do recall that BDM said that a student would only get a small bump for the top 10 or so schools. The rest of the schools will be viewed equally. Exception would be an unknown Podunk school that no one's heard of...such a school could be a negative.

I was referring to THIS post:
    "However, I can assure you that the top tier school list we try to recruit from includes mostly top private schools, even though the list has been adjusted periodically. The list includes no more than 5-6 schools. "

This person is suggesting that if you don't come from those 5-6 schools, you're pretty much out of luck. So, that's why I created a list of top schools and questioned which weren't on "the list". I think the claim is false.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 12,106Registered User Senior Member
    Ah, come on. lol We are all mis-reading the posts and most of us are mis-remembering what bdm said.

bdm said that there are (less than ten) schools that give you a bump on your GPA. That's it. IIRC, he and I agreed that bump was certainly no more than .3. Not that you were SOL if you didn't attend those schools. bdm is not an idiot. ;)
    #12, underachiever:
    Most of the spots below median are for URMs or graduates from tough elite schools. State schools are rarely considered (Edit: for these below median spots) unless you have significant connection or extraordinary EC.

Quote:
    #28 underachiever
    However, I can assure you that the top tier school list we try to recruit from includes mostly top private schools, even though the list has been adjusted periodically. The list includes no more than 5-6 schools.
    Let's don't read more than what was written by underachiever. They said "try to recruit from". I'd say that's not far from "we prefer to recruit from". ;)

As a very long in the tooth poster (who should be put out to pasture) let me add that IMO there are clearly some schools that give their students a boost in admissions simply by attending. Which schools? HYPSD...uhh...uhh... well that's 5. Other than that , y'all fight amongst yourselves. ;)

And yeah. For the noobs who don't know the story....my kid had to climb that mountain to get into YSM ....and she did it as a first day admit, so it can be done.

Un-hooked by circumstance or ethnicity. (If she was hooked, it was by her own achievements.) From an LAC ranked around 50. With an MCAT below their average. And being a ordinary hillbilly kid.

So ...keep your chin up. Not all hope is lost but you will have to be extra-ordinary if you are from an unknown but good school with a less than average MCAT or GPA. If you are from a total crap school and have a ding on either the MCAT or GPA? However small? And you are not hooked? You're probably dead in the water.

Simply put: Go to the best school you can afford to attend, taking into consideration that the "best school" is a personal/family decision having to do with lots of factors other than rank/prestige. (Two biggies are fit and money.) Choose. And then don't look back.

BTW, equal money? Go to Yale for UG. It's a pretty amazing place....if you like that sorta thing.

* My D was accepted to Yale UG but made a (mostly) financial decision not to attend. Like entomom's kid she was one year early on Yale FA's "middle-class iniatitive".
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 12,106Registered User Senior Member
    Jeez. "Initiative". See? Don't post much and you forget how to spell. Or type. I edited that post 14 times. :confused: That pasture is looking better all the time.
  • mcat2mcat2 Posts: 3,858Registered User Senior Member
    bdm said that there are (less than ten) schools that give you a bump on your GPA. That's it. IIRC, he and I agreed that bump was certainly no more than .3.
    This statement is from somebody who actually met bdm in person in New Haven. He must remember his viewpoint better than the rest of us here :)

* DS benefited from these schools' "middle-class initiative" but only for the last two years. I think curm's D is amazing as she went through the system in a more challenging way. If DS and she had switched places (It could happen, as he might have gone to a LAC back then, considering the fact that the majority of schools he had applied to and got accepted were LACs), I highly doubt he could have made it in the same way she had made it. But this is just my personal opinion.

BTW, DS did enjoy his 4 years at his UG, especially for non-academic aspects of the life there. It is a good fit for him -- with the exception of parent's wallet :) (One of his comments in early college years -- after he had been through some of those medical school prereqs: If it were not for the EC activities at his college, he could do the same at a state university as well. He really valued the evening activities there.)
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Posts: 13,841Registered User Senior Member
    This discussion is pretty futile. The only assured success is to have high GPA and decent MCAT score and other requirements covered. Calculating bumps of GPA,.....etc. and rely in any aspect on the name of UG is not a good idea, IMO.
    If one is have to go to HYP, so be it, if another feels lucky to go to the lowest ranked state school, go ahead. Each of them will have to work very hard to get where they want to be. It is not honest to say that their effort would be second to their school name, not true at all.
124»