Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Undergraduate Courseload

benjaminfranklinbenjaminfranklin Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2012 in Pre-Med Topics
In terms of science and math courses, do you think this schedule would be appropriate/beneficial for an aspiring doctor? I know many people take Bio + Chem their freshmen year, but I feel much stronger in Bio + Physics than I do in Chemistry. Thanks for any advice!

Freshmen:
Biology
Calculus I and II
Physics
Psychology

Sophomore:
Chemistry
Statistics (one semester)
Physiology

Junior:
Organic Chemistry

Senior:
Biochemistry
Post edited by benjaminfranklin on

Replies to: Undergraduate Courseload

• Sparkles21Sparkles21 Posts: 493Registered User Member
    As long as you're taking all of the required courses, and you take the subjects on the MCAT before you take it, you will be fine. Good luck!
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 12,101Registered User Senior Member
    With that schedule you are running up against some practical application deadlines. If you wait till after Organic, a summer MCAT after junior year would (or at the very least could) be problematic for a student not planning a gap year. If, OTOH, you are planning on a gap year...it doesn't matter.
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Posts: 6,096Registered User Senior Member
    When do you plant to take the MCAT? After you junior year?

Because starting Jan 2015, biochem will be included on the MCAT along with genetics and cellular/molecular bio.

There will also be an a brand new section on human behavior that will include intro psych and intro soc, plus possibly some other topics (medical ethics?). Don't forget to add those courses to your schedule.

You don't need Calc 2 (unless your major or school requires it). Stats would be a more useful substitution.
  • benjaminfranklinbenjaminfranklin Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
    I plan on taking the MCAT at the end of Junior year. I don't not plan on taking a gap year, and instead want a 4 year plan. My schedule will also include many bioethics courses since that is my major. Thanks wayoutwestmom! I really don't want to take Calc II (although I'm technically in it this year -BC Calc), and would much rather take stat courses.

@curmudgeon, when do you suggest I take orgo/take the MCAT?
    A June MCAT leaves you zero time for a re-take, if needed. I also think things are jammed up for studying for the MCAT either before, or immediately after classes are over.
    IOW, I think the traditional way works best for most. Orgo as a soph. Bio and Chem as a freshman. MCAT prior to June of application year.
    Should I take:
    Freshmen: Bio, Chem, Calc I, Stat
    Sophomore: Organic Chemistry, Psychology
    Junior: Physics...etc.
    instead?
    Chemistry is what is really scaring me though. I don't want to mess up my GPA with Bio, Chem, and Calc.
    Just take Calc 1. Should be doable with Calc BC under your belt. That being said....my kid found plenty of med schools to apply to and she never took a day of Calc in college. I or II. Just used her Calc BC credits and then Stats at college.
    Take Physics as a soph.
    So it is fine to double up on Bio + chem freshman year, and then double up with Orgo and Physics sophomore year?
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Posts: 6,096Registered User Senior Member
    Many, many students do it exactly that way.
    Really?
    Thank you! :)
    It is kinda the "go to" schedule. If it ain't broke, ......
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Posts: 5,260Registered User Senior Member
    I'm assuming your school doesn't award calc credit for AP? I only took 1 semester of math in college because I had AP credit.
    I think I may be able to get credit, but I would prefer to take Calc I and a Stat course.

Also, I was looking to the courses I'd have to take and my fresh. year would look like this:
    Bioethics class (required)
    PE (required)
    Writing Course (required)
    Biology (with lab)
    Chemistry (with lab) **also, chem is notorious to be a killer

isn't five courses and two labs a bit too much?