I'm a senior in college and I'm planning to take a gap year + start applying Spring/Summer 2013. I'm looking for:
1. suggestions to improve my application during the next year
2. ideas for things to do during my gap year
3. some med schools in my reach
Thank you so much!
Stats: Female, ORM
Major: Applied Mathematics and Biology
GPA: 3.73c/3.70s (projected); strong upward trend 4.0 during final 2 years!
MCAT: 36R (I was usually scoring in the upper 30's and I only studied 2 weeks. should I retake?)
Special circumstance: During the year of my worse grades (sophomore), I was working 3 part-time jobs! I quit 2 of them and took on a rigorous courseload (max courseload for my uni), which I excelled in. Don't worry - I didn't get any C's.
- Residential Assistant (RA) for 1 year (I had to move out of the dorms bc it's cheaper off-campus or else I would've probably continued)
- Acapella for 1 year
- Ballroom dance for 1 year
- Sunday school teacher 3 years
- EMT skills instructor for 1 year (current)
- CPR instructor for 2 years (current)
- Leadership role among university EMS corps (current)
- Teacher's aide (current)
- English tutor for adult ESOL (current)
- (after Jan 2010 earthquake): Worked alongside Haitian doctors in a rural clinic setting
- EMT-Basic: paid and volunteer, 750+ hours of service by the time I graduate (current)
- Helped open a walk-in program at a local free clinic and also help staff the clinic last summer; soon promoted to volunteer coordinator for the walk-in clinic at my university (current)
- Haiti again.
- Emergency Room: 20+ hours
- International Medicine: 70+ hours (2 weeks in Haiti, appx 8 hours a day)
Research: (not my favorite thing)
- Harvard summer research program for URM
- my university's summer research grant
- going to do a senior honors thesis
- no publications, but I am acknowledged in a paper submitted to a big-name journal
Once again, thanks for any and all recommendations.