Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

I got accepted to these schools but I don't know which one to choose (Please Help)

ReDeviLReDeviL Posts: 13Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Pre-Med Topics
Hi , I'm an international pre-med applicant for the spring semester and I got accepted to these schools, put in mind that money isn't a problem because I'm on a full ride scholarship from my government.

Universities:-
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
University of Rochester
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
George Washington University
Syracuse University

CLA :-
Bates College

Thanks in advance everybody
Post edited by ReDeviL on

Replies to: I got accepted to these schools but I don't know which one to choose (Please Help)

• bigreddawgiebigreddawgie Posts: 2,118Registered User Senior Member
    I would choose UMich without hesitation
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Posts: 6,425Registered User Senior Member
    U Rochester is very good for pre med if you want a smaller school than U Mich.

ReDevil--please be aware that your chances of being accepted into a US medical school are extremely poor. Fewer than 200 international students (total, including all MD/PhD program matriculants) are accepted each year.

https://www.aamc.org/download/159534/data/table4.pdf

(The number of internationals accepted appears near the very bottom of the chart.)

Many US medical simply will not consider internationals for admission. Only 5 US medical school offer any need-based aid to international students. (Loans only.)
  • i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Posts: 5,260Registered User Senior Member
    do all these schools do rolling? How do you have multiple acceptances in november?

And MD/PhD admissions for internationals is even harder than MD because all the MSTP programs are closed since the NIH demands the funding go to American citizens.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Posts: 21,343Registered User Senior Member
    Of those on the list, Michigan has the biggest rep outside of the US. It is a no-brainer for you -- prestige is big in the international arena!
  • CreeklandCreekland Posts: 2,982Registered User Senior Member
    See which type you prefer between your top two as either will give you a great education. My guy goes to the U of Rochester and loves it there. He prefers the smaller research school to the large school - plenty of opportunities and he'll likely start with research next semester as a freshman (is setting it up now).

Look at the major you prefer and see what depth it has in classes and professor research.
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Posts: 13,503Registered User Senior Member
  • ReDeviLReDeviL Posts: 13Registered User New Member
    Thank you so much everybody for your participation.
    I know it's unlikely for an international student to be admitted to a US Med School but it's not impossible.

I think I'm into private schools more than public schools because of the small student body and advising system there.

Another thing, If you had to choose between a College of a Liberal Arts or a Research University, which path would you prefer ?

Thanks again
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Posts: 6,425Registered User Senior Member
    Research U with an adjacent medical school over an equivalently ranked LAC.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Posts: 21,343Registered User Senior Member
    Another thing, If you had to choose between a College of a Liberal Arts or a Research University, which path would you prefer ?

I assume that you mean Liberal Arts College vs. Research Uni? (At reseach Uni, you could be enrolled in its College of (Liberal) Arts and Sciences.)

Personally, I see few advantages of attending a research Uni with a med school, but I do see numerous disadvantages.

Regardless, you are an International, so prestige trumps all, and that eliminates liberal arts colleges.
  • mcat2mcat2 Posts: 3,738Registered User Senior Member
    I see few advantages of attending a research Uni with a med school, but I do see numerous disadvantages.
    Could you elaborate it? A potential downside I can think of is that a research U. with a med school tends to serve as a magnet that attracts too many "the-only-acceptable-career-path-for-me-is-medicine" students. The premed classes could be larger than what they would be if they were not a research U. with a med school.
    Regardless, you are an International, so prestige trumps all, and that eliminates liberal arts colleges.
    LOL. This is a funny way to put it.
  • MiamiDAPMiamiDAP Posts: 13,503Registered User Senior Member
    "I know it's unlikely for an international student to be admitted to a US Med School but it's not impossible. "
    -D's Med. School class has several International students.

In regard to prestige, it does not matter for Med. School. If prestige is important to you, go for it!
  • bgmargatebgmargate Posts: 156- Junior Member
    You haven't answered the ? of how you could know you're accepted to all these schools??
    Personally, I see few advantages of attending a research Uni with a med school, but I do see numerous disadvantages.

This is obviously personal preference. The few current med school students we talked with IRL all told my son that they wished they had gone to a school with a hospital within true walking distance (meaning on campus). They had not done so and were envious of their peers who had chosen those schools as it had been easier for the peers to work on true research and/or in the hospital on a regular basis. For one, who went to a top school without a hospital nearby, even having that hospital a mile away posed difficulties and she wished she had chosen differently in hindsight.

I suppose one needs to figure out fit and see if research/more hospital experiences appeal to them or not and pick accordingly.
    You haven't answered the ? of how you could know you're accepted to all these schools??

?? They're a spring admit, not fall. It does make sense that they would know.
  • bgmargatebgmargate Posts: 156- Junior Member
    Thx Creekland