Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Physics: Calculus based or non-calculus based, which is better?

sirius_catsirius_cat Posts: 825Registered User Member
edited April 2009 in Pre-Med Topics
I a senior who's currently in AP Physics. I dont like the class at all although I dont think that my teacher is any good. I'm also in calculus and while I'm not a big fan of math, I do find it to be relatively easy to understand, unlike physics for me. I think that it would be better for me to take calculus based physics based on that fact although traditionally, math has not been my strong subject. I dont know if one is preferred over the other in terms of med school. Does anyone have any ideas/advice?
Post edited by sirius_cat on

Replies to: Physics: Calculus based or non-calculus based, which is better?

• shades_childrenshades_children Posts: 2,206Registered User Senior Member
    Physics for medical school doesn't need to be calculus-based. It's not like one is going to better preparation for medical school or will get you more brownie points during the admissions process.

I'm under the impression that calculus-based physics in college is harder than non-calculus-based physics.
  • sirius_catsirius_cat Posts: 825Registered User Member
    the physics on the MCAT will be non-calculus based?

I dont do well in physics at all (although I suffer severely from senioritis) and my teacher thinks that I should take calc based b/c if he explains something with calculus then I instantly understand but at the same time, I'm not looking forward so something harder seeing as I'll have a demanding schedule as a pre-med already.
  • madamebovarymadamebovary Posts: 1,640Registered User Senior Member
    You just need non-calculus base College Physics, but all the theory in the course is still derived with calculus. Its just the test exam wont require you to do calculus.