Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

svtcobrasvtcobra Posts: 206Registered User Junior Member
edited September 2009 in Pre-Med Topics
I know it's a bad idea to take pre-med requirement courses as pass/fail, but would it be okay for something totally unrelated (in my case, a foreign language class)? I don't think I'll have any trouble passing, but I probably won't get a good grade so I've been thinking about just taking it p/f so it won't factor into gpa.

thanks
Post edited by svtcobra on

Replies to: Pass/fail

• mmmcdowemmmcdowe Posts: 2,348Registered User Senior Member
    One or two P/F, audits, or withdrawels won't make a difference, but if the adcom sees a pattern they might hold it against you.
  • curmudgeoncurmudgeon Posts: 12,112Registered User Senior Member
    mmmc, the OP asked about P/F in med school pre-req courses. I don't know if even 1 or 2 would be O.K..
  • ZFanaticZFanatic Posts: 1,591Registered User Senior Member
    Medical school pre-reqs MUST be taken for a letter grade as far as I know. I think if you've got other things that don't count towards your major that are P/F every once in a while, it wouldn't be abig deal. Such as if you were a bio major and took a class on like Zimbabwean Culture or something. I don't think they'd care if that was P/F, espcially if you had an otherwise full and/or challenging courseload.
  • shades_childrenshades_children Posts: 2,206Registered User Senior Member
    mmmc, the OP asked about P/F in med school pre-req courses. I don't know if even 1 or 2 would be O.K..

Curm, what are you talking about? The OP wrote the following:
    I know it's a bad idea to take pre-med requirement courses as pass/fail,
    but would it be okay for something totally unrelated (in my case, a foreign language class)?

It's pretty clear to me that we're talking about NON-req coursework. I don't see one or two P/F courses as being a problem, so long as they are not pre-med reqs, major/minor reqs, or general education reqs.
    shades wrote:
    Curm, what are you talking about?

Hallucinating? Drunked up? Bad chili? I gots no i-dee. But I'll blame it on the chili. OoPs!
    Off-topic.

shades, I've got it!

1) I was thrown off by the OP's name as I was thinking about my old SVT Cobra convertible (red, tan leather, stick)

and , probably more on point,

2) I'm illiterate.
  • svtcobrasvtcobra Posts: 206Registered User Junior Member
    Okay cool, thanks everyone.

And nice car curmudgeon, what year was it?
  • MyOpinionMyOpinion Posts: 759Registered User Member
    Medical school pre-reqs MUST be taken for a letter grade as far as I know.

Not exactly accurate. There was a Brown student who took ALL his courses P/F and got into Harvard. This is not a myth and the info has been verified. Highly unusual and likely the exception to the rule, but not impossible. Go figure.