Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Pre-vet School for PA Resident?

whydoicarewhydoicare Posts: 381Registered User Member
My daughter wants to be a vet, and UPenn would be her in-state school for DVM. Is there any advantage at all in also doing her undergraduate degree at UPenn? Assuming she gets in and we can pay for it.

If not UPenn, then Penn State seems to be the best in-state choice for pre-vet. Is that right?

Thanks for any advice. I asked this on a UPenn forum, but no answer yet. I was wondering if UPenn undergraduates have any opportunities to work with the vet school, or otherwise become known to them before applying to vet school itself.
Post edited by whydoicare on

Replies to: Pre-vet School for PA Resident?

• jyber209jyber209 Posts: 653Registered User Member
    My son's girlfriend (PA resident) is pre-vet at Penn State (Schreyer Honors College) and seems to think that the pre-vet program and advising there is excellent preparation. She has had some summer volunteer/internship experiences at U Penn. (We are in the Philly suburbs.) We shall know more next spring after she gets her vet school app results (rising senior).

Vet school is very expensive, so she did not want to go private for undergrad, so that she could be in better shape financially for vet school.

IMO, just from reading up on this topic, THE most important thing your D can do is get LOTS of relevant experience.
  • whydoicarewhydoicare Posts: 381Registered User Member
    Thanks! D can start looking for experience this summer (as a rising sophomore).