Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Vet-PhD

evitaperonevitaperon Posts: 613- Member
I'm a Biochemistry student with not a lot of animal experience, and I haven't taken physiology or nutrition (although I've taken Biochemistry I & II and microbiology, genetics, ecology and cell biology). I work in a fruit fly lab where I design tracking-based behavioural assays for studies involving dopamine neurochemistry. In my first year I was aiming for MD-PhD but I think Vet PhD is more accessible. How important is experience for these programmes and what are the typical requirements and typical accepted applicants like?
Post edited by evitaperon on

Replies to: Vet-PhD

• FantasyVesperiaFantasyVesperia Posts: 2,591Registered User Senior Member
    I don't think there's such a thing as a Veterinary PhD, but you can get a DMV and have a PhD in Microbiology, Pharmacology, Nutrition based on animals.
  • mr68gtomr68gto Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    I was perusing some of these old posts and making note of the last one from Fantasy.

There are in fact veterinary PhD programs. I haven't looked at many vet schools but at least two of them do; Virginia Tech and UGA. Here's a link on VaTech's site:

Doctor of Philosophy degree in Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences (BMVS)
    https://www.vetmed.vt.edu/acad/grad/index.asp
  • FantasyVesperiaFantasyVesperia Posts: 2,591Registered User Senior Member
    Yep, that comment was when I was young and dumb lol. I was actually looking at some of those programs myself.