Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

C- in Ochem lab

stickystitchstickystitch Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited September 2013 in Pre-Vet & Veterinary Medicine
Hi,
i know some vet schools dont take C-. here's my situation. i go to a UC and i got a C- in my first ochem lab. its a 2 unit class. i was wondering whether or not it was worth it to retake the class. or would it be a giant waste of time. My goal is to go to upenn vet school. i heard for upenn its only recommended that their pre vet students take ochem.
Post edited by stickystitch on

Replies to: C- in Ochem lab

• sopranokittysopranokitty Posts: 1,448Registered User Senior Member
    Unfortunately, most universities, including the UCs, don't let you retake a C-, which sucks.
  • carlys216carlys216 Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    I looked up UCLA's policy.

http://www.ugeducation.ucla.edu/counseling/handouts/RepeatPolicy.pdf

According to this, you can retake up to 16 credits in which you received a C- or lower and have the original course grade be removed from your transcript. After 16 credits are retaken, both grades will appear on the transcript.

HOWEVER. If it is only recommended that you take OChem, then I wouldn't worry unless it's taking a hit on your GPA. Although I would make sure that any other schools to which you want to apply will accept this C- just in case. My C- in calculus is apparently just fine.
  • timeflewtimeflew Posts: 605Registered User Member
    My daughter has a friend who was in the 2012-13 round of vet school admissions. She was told she did not get in specifically because of grades. She is now retaking organic chemistry and a couple of other classes - a year after graduating.

Based on that, I would advise you to consider retaking now.

Good luck :)