Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

average/acceptable isee scores 7th grade

puckmompuckmom Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2010 in Prep School Admissions
What is the general range of acceptable isee scores for isl schools? (This is for a 7th grade application.) Is there a certain minimum percent that you must meet to even be considered for admission?
Post edited by puckmom on

Replies to: average/acceptable isee scores 7th grade

• DAndrewDAndrew Posts: 1,216Registered User Senior Member
    I don't think it necessarily has a lot to do with what grade you are applying to, since there are 3 levels of tests for 6th, 7/8th and 9th grade candidates. It really depends on how selective the school is (a wide range) and whom you are competing with. For 7th grade admission, another consideration is how many openings there are - some schools only have openings due to attrition. So, there is not an easy answer to your questions. Like with SSAT, 85% in all setions would put you in a competitive position for almost all schools.
  • puckmompuckmom Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
    My daughter's scores were all in the mid to low 90% range except for one section that was 60%. How badly does a score like this effect her chances for admission? (She has excellent grades.)
  • DAndrewDAndrew Posts: 1,216Registered User Senior Member
    ^^You ask tough questions! :) Put it this way: standardized test in itself, when reaching a certain threshold, is hardly a deal maker or breaker. That being said, if you are applying to highly selective schools, 60% doesn't look good. Does the school accept SSAT? Maybe you can let ask take SSAT too and see how she performs.
    Thanks but no, the schools do not accept the SSAT for that age level.
  • ifax108ifax108 Posts: 1,226Registered User Member
    @puckmom,
    Are you comfortable telling us which ISL school it is? Because the ISL schools vary greatly.
    No, I don't want to say the name of the schools but they are the most competitive of the ISL schools. It's just really unfortunate because she is a straight A student at a competitive private school and and has strong test scores for all the ISEE sections except one. I guess there is nothing else we can do.
  • ifax108ifax108 Posts: 1,226Registered User Member
    @puckmom,
    First, if the school accepts the SSAT then I would take it in either December or January. Second, get her to write amazing essays that will hopefully make up for the bad test score. If she winds up getting rejected, at least she put in an honest effort and learned something from the process. And besides, she's in seventh grade. She'll be a pro at this if she wants to apply to 9-12 boarding schools! :)
  • goaliedadgoaliedad Posts: 2,199Registered User Senior Member
    puckmom,

Been looking at your posting history. You have 2 children (boy and girl) who play hockey? I am a little confused as to which (one or both) you are trying to place this year.

If it is your daughter and she is a top rate hockey player (playing tier 1 type team in NE), as long as the coach knows her talent and she is average for the school, admission is not a problem. Don't worry about the 60th percentile score. It may affect which section of a course she takes once she is there, but beyond that it is not a concern. The question is, has the coach seen her play?

As to boys and hockey, it is trickier as they are generally not as developed as young, so prospecting by coaches isn't as important because the end product is not predictable. Jr/Sr male applicants can be more accurately measured and therefore recruited.

I'm a little removed from that age hockey (mine is a college freshman who just finished 4 years at BS playing hockey), but I still recognize the quality club programs around the country (hockey is a small world). Not all great players play for the top clubs, so if she is a star on a smaller program, that will work with coaches, but the do need to see her play (they are all at the Polar Bear tourney over the holidays, so plan on being there and letting coaches know her schedule). If you are local enough, they will come out and watch her play Sundays (Saturdays are typically eaten up by their own team's games).

Hope this helps. PM if you would like to ask more questions in private.