Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What's a typical 9th grade course load at your BS?

SevenDadSevenDad Posts: 2,668Registered User Senior Member
edited February 2011 in Prep School Admissions
Wondering if current BS students from different schools could report what courses they took/are taking in 9th grade.

Particularly interested in people who are doing two languages (ie. Spanish and Latin)...do you have to give up any other Sci or Math options over the course of your 4 years to make this happen?
Post edited by SevenDad on

Replies to: What's a typical 9th grade course load at your BS?

• zuzu'spetalszuzu'spetals Posts: 344Registered User Member
    My dd last year (she is a sophmore) took:
    Honors Latin 2
    English
    Honors 9th grade math
    Ancient History
    Honors Bio
    Modern Dance
    Chorale
    This is pathetic, but I don't know if she actually took PE. She always had a pass grade for PE, but I am not sure if her sports participation (Soccer, mountaineering and lax) exempted her from an actual class. I can't recall a single conversation about an actual PE class.
  • bookluver07bookluver07 Posts: 734Registered User Member
    spanish
    orchestra
    art
    geometry
    biology
    english
    ancient history

my friend takes french and spanish with no biology
  • SevenDadSevenDad Posts: 2,668Registered User Senior Member
    Thanks to you both...

@bookluver07: Your friend's case kind of indicates to me that one does have to give up something to pursue 2 languages...

Upperclassmen at BS, feel free to share your 9th grade courseload (and any other years you care to comment on)...
  • creative1creative1 Posts: 1,657Registered User Senior Member
    A typical 3rd form (9th grade) schedule at SPS:

Humanities 3 - a double credit course that combines english, history, religion and art appreciation

Physics First - SPS follows the following Science sequence > Physics First, Chem, Bio with plenty of electives and advanced courses to choose from in subsequent years

World or Classical Language - many choices to choose from. Placement is based on a placement test taken during the Spring prior to enrollment.

Geometry - for Math this is the most common 3rd form Math class but occasionally students take Algebra 1 instead and it isn't unusual for other students to have already completed Geometry and be at the level of Alg 2, PreCalc or Calc in 9th grade.

Full year mandatory art requirement - All 9th graders are required to take a full year art course in the Fine Arts, dance, theater or music.

These 5 courses leave one free block available. The majority of 3rd form students stick to 5 courses their first year to allow them to adjust to BS life. It is usually not recommended to take an extra course during 3rd form but some do.

For those wishing to studies 2 languages, most pick up a second language during their sophomore or junior year once you have your art requirements out of the way. Most students will take math, humanities, science and a foreign language all 4 years. There is the ability to take up to 6 classes per term (which is an overload from the regular 5 course schedule) so students can easily double up on languages, science, math, humanities or continue with art - wherever their interests take them. The SPS course schedule allows a fair amount of flexibility to pursue a passion or dabble in a variety of areas while still maintaining a rigorous college prep schedule. It's not unusual to see a student being an "art kid" studying several art forms, a "language kid" taking 2 or 3 languages, etc. With kids coming from public and private schools across the US and the world, as well as having kids come in who repeat a year, there really is no "typical" class schedule as students are placed according to their abilities and needs.
  • SamanthaWasHereSamanthaWasHere Posts: 171Registered User Junior Member
    Well I'm a new sophomore, but I'm aware of the average freshman classes. Tyical freshman courses at Emma Willard:

Geomentry/Algebra 2 & Trig (depending on level)
    Global Perspectives in Modern History (a 2 year course, continued in sophomore year)
    Spanish/French/Chinese 1 (unless REALLY advanced, our langauges are rigorous and we like to start them with first level regardless of where they previously were)
    English 1
    Freshman Seminar (like an ettiquite class required for a semester)
    Physics

Most freshman do not take an art elective until second semester because the workload is a lot to get used to.
  • DAndrewDAndrew Posts: 1,216Registered User Senior Member
    For those wishing to studies 2 languages, most pick up a second language during their sophomore or junior year once you have your art requirements out of the way. Most students will take math, humanities, science and a foreign language all 4 years. There is the ability to take up to 6 classes per term (which is an overload from the regular 5 course schedule) so students can easily double up on languages, science, math, humanities or continue with art - wherever their interests take them.
    This is a pretty accurate account. Of course taking 6 classes for all 4 years is challenging, particularly when the classes get more advanced and as one is involved in time consuming EC's etc.
  • RellielouRellielou Posts: 500Registered User Member
    Great question, SD!

I see that it is not uncommon for a kid to enter BS as a 9th grader with advanced math. What about kids who have completed advanced science courses? How does that work if the science program is very much based upon grade level?
  • 1012mom1012mom Posts: 768Registered User Member
    @Rellielou

Science is generally more sequence dependant than grade dependant. Particularly in Physics first schools. Curricular alignment requires knowing what material has been taught in the previous class. Often there is an Honors/Accelerated level for strong science kids. I have never heard of a science placement test - but often kids move levels in the first few weeks of school.
  • RellielouRellielou Posts: 500Registered User Member
    Thanks, 1012.
  • keylymekeylyme Posts: 2,825Registered User Senior Member
    My son was a repeat freshman. His freshman year included: Algebra II, Physics, Freshman Humanities (even required of repeat freshmen and included Intro to Religious Studies and English), Honors Spanish II, a required 1/2 credit Arts Foundation course, and an elective (his first choice, Dante's Inferno, was full - so he opted to do his other required 1/2 credit elective in an art course, acting). His school uses block scheduling, so doubling up on a language or math during freshman or sophomore year is difficult because of all of the requirements.
  • SevenDadSevenDad Posts: 2,668Registered User Senior Member
    I seem to recall that Latin is mandatory for Groton students...would love to hear a current student comment on how taking a double language works there. While Groton is not a "Physics First" school, I know that they offer either Bio or AP Environmental Studies to inbound freshman (which I think is very cool).
  • keylymekeylyme Posts: 2,825Registered User Senior Member
    ^^I did not know that about Groton (Latin being mandatory). I think it should be mandatory in all schools.
  • neatoburritoneatoburrito Posts: 3,114Registered User Senior Member
    I think Groton did away with the dual lang requirement. When I looked at the website's grad requirements I don't remember seeing "and" but rather, "or" classical or modern. I could be wrong.

I agree, sevendad. I know of one school that is phasing out Latin altogether. What a pity.
    Correction: I agree, keylyme....

Ssrs
    I was wrong. Students entering in 8th or 9th grade are required to have two years of Latin in addition to the modern lang requirement. I failed to consider the "form requirements" which are in addition to the diploma requirements.

Sorry.