Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Co-Ed dorms.

kinggdubkinggdub Posts: 25Registered User New Member
edited October 2011 in Prep School Admissions
Are any good boarding school dorms coed? How bout cate school?
Post edited by kinggdub on

Replies to: Co-Ed dorms.

• rizzledrizzlerizzledrizzle Posts: 535Registered User Member
    I don't think there are co-ed dorms at Cate. And anywhere else. If there are, I'd assume it'd be very very rare.
  • kinggdubkinggdub Posts: 25Registered User New Member
    Are the opposite sex aloud in the dorms?
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Posts: 6,086Registered User Senior Member
    I don't think you'll find many parents who would be willing to send their 14-18 yr old (w their raging adolescent hormones) to a co-ed dorm
    I mean can the opposite sex go in the dorm?
    At DC's BS, yes, opposite sex can visit personal room. But door must be open and lights have to be on.

In addition, dorm bldgs have a common room where visitors of either sex are welcome to visit during specified hours.
    Ok so dc is the only one
    @kinggdub,

"DC" = dear child, it's not the name of a school. I would guess that many BS's have a similar visitation policy for opposite sex. A dorm is a home, not a monestary/convent.
    Oh. What school is that?
  • dodgersmomdodgersmom Posts: 5,960Registered User Senior Member
    kinggdub -

Most schools are going to be similar with regard to their dorm policies. There will be hours when the dorms will be open to visitors and hours when they will not. If you want more privacy than that, look into single sex schools. If you want less privacy than that . . . well, you'll have to wait until college.
  • ThacherParentThacherParent Posts: 620Registered User Member
    At Thacher, no visitation is permitted into an opposite sex dorm.

Once or twice a semester, a whole dorm will throw an officially sanctioned (and monitored) party for another opposite sex dorm. All the dorm parents for both dorms attend. It's a chance for one dorm to throw a really nice/fun party for another.

I don't know of any boarding school that officially allows private opposite sex visitation. Nevertheless, there is ample opportunity for privacy on most campuses for those couples seeking it. That's always going to be the case.

Boarding school is not a guarantee of celibacy for four years. Kids will experiment, fun and heartbreak will happen, mistakes will be made, distractions will occur etc. To think differently is to think wishfully. Most schools, Thacher included, do not condone or encourage relationships between the opposite sex because kids that age have enough on their plates. But, life happens anyway!
  • cassatcassat Posts: 342Registered User Member
    Andover actually does offer opposite sex visitations, called "parietals."

The only rules are that a house counselor needs to be in the dorm, and that you follow the "Door Policy."

Juniors (freshman) must keep their doors completely open. And a new rule is that they can only have parietals with other freshman.

Lowers (sophomores) also must have their doors completely open.

Uppers (juniors) must have their doors ajar, around halfway open.

Seniors may close their doors.
  • musisatmusisat Posts: 407Registered User Member
    At Exeter, "visitations" to a room of a member of the opposite sex is only allowed between 7-8 pm with permission and door open. Members of the opposite sex are allowed in the common room from 7am-8pm, I believe. That doesn't imply by any means that people strictly follow these rules.
    This is a little different, but are you aloud to sleep over in someone else's room that's IN your dorm?