Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Putting Things in Perspective

2010 hopeful2010 hopeful Posts: 2,040Registered User Senior Member
edited March 2012 in Prep School Admissions
Hey everyone!

I know that many of you guys are waiting for admission decisions that are coming out in just a few days. I’m sure some of the applicants are pulling their hair out during this seemingly endless wait as I was last year. I just wanted to make a thread in order to put some things in perspective and spread awareness of an issue that I’ve become passionate about over the past year at boarding school. Whatever happens on March 10th, acceptance, waitlist, or denial, keep in mind that you are lucky wherever you end up. Lucky to live somewhere where you don’t have the constant fear for your life.

The name Joseph Kony may be unfamiliar to some but he is currently the world’s WORST war criminal. Joseph Kony leads the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) that consists of abducted fighters, mostly children. For the past 26+ years this man has abducted more than 30,000+ children for his army. About 440,000 people across three countries have been displaced because of this man. He remains at large because he is for the most part invisible to the world. Few people on this earth recognize his name.

I know that I won’t be able to articulate the whole situation that has been occurring in Central Africa alone so here’s a video that should help. It explains everything and shows ways that you can help bring Kony to justice: KONY 2012 on Vimeo

The organization Invisible Children is an advocacy group for these thousands of child soldiers in Central Africa. Check out the following site to receive more information about Invisible Children’s KONY 2012 awareness campaign: Invisible Children | Kony2012

Joseph Kony MUST be stopped. Whether you are a boy or girl, black or white, republican or democrat, this is something that we can all agree on.

So during this time leading up to March 10th, if you have a free second please share the video on facebook or twitter to help spread awareness of this monster. Everyone should feel lucky to have even received the opportunity to apply to boarding schools. I hope this puts some things in perspective for some of you. Please help spread the word and make Kony famous. Thank you!

2010 hopeful
Post edited by 2010 hopeful on

Replies to: Putting Things in Perspective

• butterfly404butterfly404 Posts: 119Registered User Junior Member
    I agree that this is a valid cause, but please take a look at visiblechildren.tumblr.com
  • TerrytowlingTerrytowling Posts: 27Registered User New Member
    this has been a huge thing on facebook! It is such a worthy cause.. i've already bought my kit and I can't wait for April 20! I really hope we can get this disgusting man put away for the rest of his life... MAKE KONY FAMOUS!
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 283Registered User Junior Member
    I was going to post what butterfly404 posted, but I decided to stay away from being devil's advocate at this time. But as a summary of the criticism of Invisible Children, their organization's affiliations, reputation in the non-profit sector, and financial dealings are MURKY. Yes, Kony should be brought to justice, but when you're thinking about donating to IC, please at least consider this other angle (http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/). You can still help, but perhaps at someplace with a more reliable background.
  • mountainhikermountainhiker Posts: 802Registered User Member
    The power of social networking is truly mind-boggling. The person who posted the tumblr article questioning the Invisible Children organization has now posted a link to their very detailed response to his questions/concerns. Plus, he just posted this message on his tumblr site:
    I am not an expert - there are flaws in my rhetoric, and I appreciate people taking the time to find them, just as there are flaws in Invisible Children’s. I’m a second-year Political Science student, not an expert, and the audience for this post was originally a group of approximately 30 friends whom it was emailed to originally. It has now received well over a million hits in less than 24 hours. This was not my intent.
  • 2kidsnoanswers2kidsnoanswers Posts: 555Registered User Member
    Astonishing, mountainhiker. It really is mind-boggling!
  • 2010 hopeful2010 hopeful Posts: 2,040Registered User Senior Member
    Here's a response from invisible children to all of the critiques that have been floating around: InvisibleChildren
  • 98beebee98beebee Posts: 1,662Registered User Senior Member
    Thank you for the video! You're right, more people need to know about this.