Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is IMSA considered a prep school?

bison151515bison151515 Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2012 in Prep School Admissions
So IMSA stands for the Illinois Math and Science Academy and I'm wondering if it's considered a prep school. It's a boarding school, holds a great education, and isn't classified with any of the other public schools. So I'm not sure if anyone could help me out with this?
Post edited by bison151515 on

Replies to: Is IMSA considered a prep school?

• 2prepMom2prepMom Posts: 1,011Registered User Senior Member
    IMSA is a very well regarded school, but most of the state-sponsored math and science test entry schools are not as widely known, or nationally ranked, because attendance is limited to students from the region or state.

Thomas Jefferson in Virginia is another good example, and regularly does as well/better than the highest level "prep" schools on all kinds of measures.

You are lucky to have a school like IMSA in your state, most states do not have a math/science magnet high school.
  • kidsparentkidsparent Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it is really up to you. It does prepare a kid for college at a more intense and in depth level compared to most typical public schools, or probably most independent day schools.

We looked at IMSA for our son and it is a very different environment than a stereotypical prep or boarding school.
  • bison151515bison151515 Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
    @kidsparent When I shadowed there, I couldn't help but think that it was like Alice in Wonderland, with all the unmatching colors. It's also relatively new (created in 1986 I think) and so it has a cafeteria, not a dining hall (easiest way to distinguish prep and "public funded residential program").
  • GrammerNaziGrammerNazi Posts: 636Registered User Member
    It's a college prep school, sure. But it's publicly funded by Illinois, is new compared to full-fledged prep schools, and his a predominantly STEM focus. It's best to classify it as a STEM magnet if anything.