Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Which Schools? In Prep School Confusion...

preplovr22preplovr22 Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in Prep School Admissions
Hi! I am needing some help in deciding where to apply... at first I thought "Go Big or go Home" with boarding schools but I would like to get some feedback about what schools should be on my radar. Below I will post my stats so that you will get a better understanding of what I am looking for and what kinds of places would be good for me.

Some schools I am thinking about and would love to hear more info about/ people's opinions of are:
Exeter
Andover
Deerfield
Milton
St. Pauls
Lville

- I love art (paint, draw)
-Writing (lit mag, creative writing club?)
-Model UN
-Debate if possible
-Field Hockey

Here are my stats:

(Attended Best Public Middle School in the try-state area, very rigorous academics)
8th Grade: (everything honors)
Algebra 2: A
English: A+
History (US His)- A+
Physical Science- A
Spanish 1- A
Research Skills (mandatory)- A+
Gym- A-
Health- A

9th Grade (so far)-
(class rank - 1st out of 267)
Precalculus Honors- A+
English 1- A+
Biology 1 Honors- A+
Spanish 2- A+
World History Honors- A+
Gym/Health- A+
Study Hall/Organization- (freshman mandatory class) A+

Extracurricular:

-Model UN- 2 Years, Captain
-Speech & Debate Congress- First Year
-JV Field Hockey- 2 Years
-Writing Group/ Literary Magazine- 6 Years (Editor)
-Reading Olympics- 2 Years (Captain 2nd Year)
-Class Secretary- 8th Grade
-Environmental Engineers Club- 1 Year (Treasurer/Secretary) One of Founding Members
-100 Hours of Community Service each year past two years
-Volunteered at LIFE (living independently for elders at the University of Pennsylvania) last summer doing stroke group and art therapy with seniors.
-Raised hundreds of dollars for MCC (Mennonite Central Committee) and volunteered often.
-"Art Award" at graduation eighth grade, full scholarship for summer class at Moore College of Art and Design.
-Have written many novels (sections published in our Literary Magazine), was invited to read at the "Mount Airy Children's Literary Festival" in April.

Taking SSAT's next month but expect to do well (studying) and am very good at standardized tests.

I am applying to BS because the public school I am going to now is not challenging me (Just moved and there is only one high school for the whole city) and I would love the experience. Also, I think I would be able to strive in the environment of a boarding school where everyone is academically motivated. I have visited a few schools and fell in love with the people, place and overall sensation. But, I need some financial aid. I do live in a part of the south that is very unrepresented in New England boarding schools though.

I forgot to say,
-Great math recommendation (I am pretty sure- I topped the class first sem.)
-Good-Great English Rec. (Got 96-100 every sem. last year)
-Great extracurricular rec's (From my model UN coach and writing teacher/lit mag teacher)
-Essays all pretty good, a few great, a few above average. You know.

Interviews have GREAT! (exeter and andover where the best... guy from andover said I would be a great addition/would be good for their school)
Post edited by preplovr22 on

Replies to: Which Schools? In Prep School Confusion...