Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Hidden Gem Schools in the Tristate Area

Anxiety251Anxiety251 Posts: 12User Awaiting Email Confirmation New Member
edited November 2012 in Prep School Admissions
Hi, I'm an eighth grader applying for ninth in this cycle, and I was wondering if there were any hidden gem schools in the tristate area that have a strong mathematics/art program. Also, are those schools close-knit, with a very tight community?

If you know of any, please write down the name and state and if you know more, feel free to write more!

Thanks!
Post edited by Anxiety251 on

Replies to: Hidden Gem Schools in the Tristate Area

• girlgeekmomgirlgeekmom Posts: 460Registered User Member
    Which states? This is a national forum...If you can be a bit more specific you might get some helpful replies ;-)
  • dharmamomdharmamom Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
    If by tri-state, you mean New York, New Jersey, Connecticut: you might look at the Masters School in Dobbs Ferry, NY. It's a lower-key school with a nice feeling.
  • WillemSWillemS Posts: 82Registered User Junior Member
    Northfield Mount Hermon School (Western MA, near Amherst) is a great school (I'm a current student there) and one that is often overlooked, even though it is in the Eight Schools Association (along with Andover, Exeter, Choate, St Paul's, Lawrenceville, Hotchkiss, and Deerfield). We have one of the best arts programs of any boarding schools, and have a very new and beautiful arts center, called the RAC (Rhodes Arts Center), that was just built a couple years ago. We have great academics all around, and have a very relaxed feeling to campus (almost no dress code, only three classes a day, etc.). I'd definitely say that our community is a strong one, and one that is very close. Go Hoggers!
  • 2kidsnoanswers2kidsnoanswers Posts: 555Registered User Member
    Take a look at Blair in NJ and Millbrook in NY.

Not sure by 'art' if you are referring to performing arts or fine arts?
  • HarvestMoon1HarvestMoon1 Posts: 1,314Registered User Senior Member
    Might want to take a peek at Pomfret in Ct. as well.
  • ChoatieMomChoatieMom Posts: 1,197Registered User Senior Member
    Where I'm from, "tri-state" means Michigan, Indiana, Ohio. :P So, I'd suggest Cranbrook or Interlochen.
  • PeriwinklePeriwinkle Posts: 2,546Registered User Senior Member
    Or, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts?

I was also thinking of Phineas and Ferb.
  • girlgeekmomgirlgeekmom Posts: 460Registered User Member
    ...and I'd put Northfield Mount Hermon in the VT/MA/NH Tri-state, rather than the NY/NJ/CT. Then, of course, there's Emma Willard, in the VT/NY/MA Tri-state area.

Both of those schools are strong in the arts, Emma is very strong in math but you can only apply if you're a girl.
  • 24daffodils24daffodils Posts: 82Registered User Junior Member
    Chiming in as a current Blair parent new to the board. It is strong both in math and the arts. It won DC's heart due to its tight-knit, happy, warm community. DC said it just felt 'right'. After all, if you plan to board, this will be where you call home a large portion of the year - it is certainly important to find a place where you are comfortable and are surrounded by a great set of kids who can become your good friends. DC found all of this, and more, at Blair in NJ.
  • PhotographerMomPhotographerMom Posts: 758Registered User Member
    CT: Kent, Taft, Pomfret, Canterbury and Loomis Chaffee

NJ: Peddie and Blair

NY: Millbrook