Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

BS in MA that accept Juniors?

mom318mom318 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Prep School Admissions
My son is a Sophmore in our local public school and is interested in applying to BS for next year. I am looking for some suggestions for schools that accept a fair number of juniors, since he's not interested in repeating. He plays 2 Varsity sports, 4.4 GPA in all honors classes, lots of community service so I think he would be a strong candidate. We're concentrating on Massachusettes so he won't be too far from home, any suggestions?
Post edited by mom318 on

Replies to: BS in MA that accept Juniors?

• VelveteenRVelveteenR Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
    I think most BS accept juniors, but I don't know that they publish how many each year. You can check each school's website or call each school to find out. Use Boarding School Review to determine and compare the MA schools:

Boarding Schools in Massachusetts
  • 2kidsnoanswers2kidsnoanswers Posts: 555Registered User Member
    Yes, I would concur - best to call the schools you are interested in once you come up with a list, and simply ask them. There are junior openings, but it seems the number varies by school depending on the given year and their particular situation. If you are in a rush and this is an option, an educational consultant could assist greatly in making suggestions and contacting the schools. She would then give you a list of schools which fit your criteria and have openings. That said, I understand placement in the junior year is more challenging just because there are fewer spots, and the junior year at a new school he would have to hit the ground running, as it is a key academic year for college. Good luck.
  • muf123muf123 Posts: 787Registered User Member
    I know of New England boys schools that often take a fair amount of jr through PG kids. Especially if your son is an athlete.
  • KatMTKatMT Posts: 3,440College Rep Senior Member
    You might want to expand up into NH as well. Holderness and New Hampton have strong athletics, and I believe both accept juniors.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC