Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How are these extracurriculars?

rockstar7789rockstar7789 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Prep School Admissions
I know I'm a little early, but I'm currently in 8th grade and I'm planning on applying for tenth grade next year. I don't really have much extracurricular opportunities where I live, so I have some unique ones.

Here are the ones I'm currently doing/am planning on doing:

-I volunteer at a local library for around 4 hours a week.
-I also volunteer at a local no-kill animal shelter for about the same amount of time.
-I have a book blog, where I post reviews on books I have read and interviews with different authors.
-I've started a book blog touring company, where I organize blog tours for authors.
-I'm currently taking sign language.
-I babysit a child of a family friend.
-I've had a couple articles published with a teen literacy magazine.
-When I turn 14 this summer, I'm planning on applying for a job at a local grocery store. If that doesn't work out, my father's boss (who my family is friends with) has agreed to hire me.

Are those extracurriculars okay, or should I attempt to find others?
Post edited by rockstar7789 on

Replies to: How are these extracurriculars?

• WillemSWillemS Posts: 82Registered User Junior Member
    Don't fit your extracurriculars around what you think a school wants. You seem perfect- you have a focus (books, writing, etc.) you seem dedicated to it, and it's unique. Believe me, standing out is a million times better than being another kid on debate, math team, etc. Explore YOUR passions. You want to go to a school that appreciates you, and not a resume-filler version of you. You are on the right track!