Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Delbarton Feeder Schools

aebellonaebellon Posts: 4Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Prep School Admissions
What elementary schools best prepare your child to attend Delbarton?
Post edited by aebellon on

Replies to: Delbarton Feeder Schools

• nyprep123nyprep123 Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    The Peck School
  • Momof7thgraderMomof7thgrader Posts: 226Registered User Junior Member
    And many of the excellent public schools in the area.
  • Proschool212Proschool212 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    Personally looked at several area schools.

Based on success rate with Delbarton, tuition & overall management, family atmosphere - my top choice would be St. Vincent Martyr in Madison, NJ.

My order would be:

1) Saint Vincent Martyr in Madison
    2) Peck School
    3) St. Patricks in Chatham

Why did I choose SVMS ?

Where would you find an elementary catholic school in today in NJ ( with all the school closings & HUGE DECLINE in catholic enrollments) - of having to TURN DOWN families wanting to enroll in grades 2,3,4,5? In fact, there has been a lot of appeal & pressure to find a way to Expand & build new classroms in the lower grades because their is a huge demand. ( they have 3 classes now up to 3rd grade, & 2 classes for 4th, 5th & 6th)

Success rate- Very strong feeder school for Delbarton & Villa Walsh Academy ( with very strong acceptances as well in Oratory Prep & Oak Knoll )

In last 2 years alone, a total 8 boys were accepted into Delbarton for 7th grade (SVMS is having their 1st batch of their new middle school of 8th grade class graduating this year with boy members & is widely expected to produce several Delbarton acceptances as well. )

I am not even including the boys & girls who were accepted in Oratory Prep, Oak Knoll, Newark Academy, Kent Place & Academy of St. Elizabeth.

* There's a reason every year, you see children of multiple CEO's, a ESPN Analyst, several NY Jets families, a family of a Current Top Coach for a Professional NJ Sports team, a family of an Asst. GM of a current NY Pro sports team, multiple Wall Street Executives & multiple Lawyers & Physicians within the Saint Vincent student community.

It is not unusual to see 2,3 & even 4 siblings all get into Delbarton or Villa Walsh on consecutive years.

Financial - You get much more for your money. SVMS's tuition is the LOWEST compared to Peck & St. Elizabeth. For the money you pay, you son or daughter who has good grades has a better shot at these top schools because of the SVMS reputation but for Less Money.

They are accepting students for 6th, 7th & 8th grade( may likely have openings for even 5th grade)

Community- hands down. The best Principal & Parish Priest combination I've even seen. If you are an active catholic, You Know how RARE it is today to Truly Find BOTH Children & Parents BOTH REALLY Like ( Love) a Principal & even the Parish Priest.

How often today do you see the overwhelming majority of parents really cheer, smile & applaud a principal after a speech. How many schools do you see today that has young students really liking & bonding with their parish priests.

How often do you see elementary catholic school students today very comfortably approach a principal & chat on a given day.

That's one of the strengths of the school - it has VERY LITTLE negativity from parents or teachers ( as oppose to unfortunately many catholic schools today). You hear VERY LITTLE whining or complaining when talking privately or publicly.

When you consider that the SVMS community has about 400 families, that's even more amazing that you see a positive environment in today's world.

Nothing is perfect but I believe its a very good overall atmosphere.

Last year, about 12 families moved to SVMS from St. Patricks.

This year, I believe 2 or 3 new families moved in to SVMS from Peck School.

You should visit the Open house.

Good luck & hope this helps.
  • Proschool212Proschool212 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    BTW, it also gives you some peace of mind in terms of a school closing due to declining enrollment.

That was the issue I saw with two other neighboring catholic schools in both East Hanover & Florham Park. Both schools had serious issues with a declining student enrollment.

With SVMS, they had a totally opposite issue. They had too many very interested families that they had to put on a waiting list .