Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What Boarding School Would You Recommend?

havenmummhavenmumm Posts: 3Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Prep School Admissions
I'm a tenth grader and going to be applying for a boarding school for the next school year. We don't have loads of money to spend on numerous applications though so I was wondering if any of you would have advice on what school I would like?

My grades are fairly average. I had all A's and one B and one C last year. Most of them were CP courses and two were honors. Sorry I'm not some child prodigy. While I am above average when it comes to intelligence I had a rough time last year because I was in and out of the hospital for depression which caused me to miss a lot of school and get behind.

I'm in a community service club, drama club, book club, student senate, student house, and have a high chance of becoming president of my sophomore class. I was also accepted into my school's honor academy.

What I would like in a school is one thats friendly and open. I love the big city atmosphere so it would be nice to be near one, but that's not my biggest concern. I absolutely love psychology so preferably I would like a school with some psych classes. Or ones pertaining to animal studies/biology. I'd love to be in a glee club or something with a lot of theater and singing. Creative writing is also something I'm good at.

And it would need to be a school with a fair amount of financial aid because I'm living with my divorced mother who has three other children to take care of.
Post edited by havenmumm on

Replies to: What Boarding School Would You Recommend?

• dharmamomdharmamom Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
    Masters has an amazing vocal group (Dobbs 16). It's the closet boarding school to NYC as far as I know. It has a program called City Term that focuses on New York City:

CITYterm: About Us
  • Stefan4everStefan4ever Posts: 31- New Member
    Loomis Chaffe has a friendly school and it is right next to a city so on the weekends you guys can go leave and see a movie or some junk like that
  • paobs12paobs12 Posts: 112Registered User Junior Member
    I am sorry to hear about your troubles last year. Life as a teenager certainly has its stresses and strains. May I ask what it is about boarding school that appeals to you? Are you concerned at all about being away from your family? At the larger schools, it is easy to get lost, and the super-competitive schools can be pressure cookers. I have heard wonderful things about Portsmouth Abbey, a mid-size school on a beautiful campus overlooking Naragansett Bay in Rhode Island. The Hill School in Pottstown, PA has a very close knit community with some wonderful arts programs. Known as the "Family Boarding School," Hill prides itself on rigorous academics, but also on having an engaged and approachable faculty. My oldest son goes to Hill, and he loves it. He has grown into a mature and self-confident young man. Pottstown, though, is no great shakes. Best of luck on your journey!