Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Whats the difference between Cumlaude and Magna Cumlaude?

itsrenitsren Posts: 166Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2008 in Prep School Admissions
I went to a commencement today and they were naming some people cumlaude (most of them) then some of them were Magna Cumlaude and others were just nothing... anyone know the difference?
Post edited by itsren on

Replies to: Whats the difference between Cumlaude and Magna Cumlaude?

• paleozoicpaleozoic Posts: 381Registered User Member
    A "cum laude" is an academic distinction. Back in paleozoic times when I was young , most people graduated from university with a "pass' degree which signified that they had been physically present for three years and had managed to stay out of jail. People who had done some serious academic work (about 20-30%) would get an "honours" degree. If you did outstanding work say 75% or more, you would get a designation "cum laude" ( with praise ): if you got 80% you would get a Magna cum laude (with great praise). And if you got a 90 you would get a "summa cum laude" (with highest praise).
    Almost nobody in may day got magna or summa at a Canadian or British University. ( If you got a 75% average you were head and shoulders above the average), an 80% average was unheard of and a 90% was considered out of this world.
  • neatoburritoneatoburrito Posts: 3,021Registered User Senior Member
    I've heard some prep schools are still like this. 90% + is considered truly superior work and is rarely given. Most receive C's (excellent work). Where did you go to university, Paleo?
  • tango14tango14 Posts: 1,578Registered User Senior Member
    When I was in college, summa cum laude was awarded for a 3.9 / 4 GPA, magnea cum laude more than 3.75 but less than 3.9, and sum laude more then 3.5.
  • collegeprofcollegeprof Posts: 82Registered User Junior Member
    It varies from school to school, but it's usually based on GPA. Where I teach, the cutoffs are the same as the one tango14 mentions (3.50 for cum laude, 3.75 for magna cum laude, and 3.90 for summa cum laude).