Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

SSAT - Raw Scores to Scaled Scores to Percentiles?

piggy1402piggy1402 Posts: 30Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2009 in Prep School Admissions
Can somebody please write me a detailed conversion list that converts Raw > Scaled > Percentiles?

By detailed, I mean the Percentiles do not only have the 50% percentile, but also, for example, if you get 712 for Reading, you will definitely get more than 50% percentile, but EXACTLY how much? (this is an example!!)

It doesn't matter what year the scale is. I just need one lol. I can't buy a preparation book so it's hard for me to convert my scores.

Thanks in advance !!!
Post edited by piggy1402 on

Replies to: SSAT - Raw Scores to Scaled Scores to Percentiles?

• PrincipalVPrincipalV Posts: 950Registered User Member
    Well, the actual scale is based upon SSAT scores from over three years. Practice books may have a scale, which may be precise, but it is difficult to really calculate a scaled percentile (at least to my knowledge). Also, it is difficult to estimate the degree to which a score will be scaled. For example, a reading score may only start scaling (from 1/sample percentile) at 420 and stop scaling (at 99 percentile) at 712. The rate at which it scales is also not constant throughout the curve.

That was an answer to your call for an "exact" (more likely, "precise") scale. Test experts (something which I am not), however, may be able to provide a somewhat precise scale to fit your needs. I know, also, that the scale is configured similarly to the CollegeBoard SAT. I have the PSAT scale somewhere, and I will see if I can create a rough bell curve, in accordance with SAT guidelines, for the SSAT (of course, I need to find my PSAT guide from October 14th first which, considering my lack of organization, will be difficult).

I am curious, though, why do you need a scale? Without a practice/prep exam book what do you hope to gain from it. I guess you could look at it an say I need "at least" this much to get this percentile but it's hard to even estimate the raw score.

Maybe I am mistaken about all of this. Let me know.
  • PaulaZariaPaulaZaria Posts: 1,526Registered User Senior Member
    Princeton Review has a pretty good scale