Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

2010 USAMO/JMO and BS

FayMomFayMom Posts: 230Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2010 in Prep School Admissions
Again, Andover and Exeter each has 6-7 on the board. Other school names seen, Choate, Groton, Middlesex, Loomis, Brooks, Williston, Ruxbury Latin, BUA ......(last two are day schools)

USAMO: http://www.unl.edu/amc/e-exams/e8-usamo/e8-1-usamoarchive/2010-ua/10-Qual_list.pdf

JMO:http://www.unl.edu/amc/e-exams/e8-usamo/e8-1-usamoarchive/2010-ua/10-JMO-Qual_list.pdf
Post edited by FayMom on

Replies to: 2010 USAMO/JMO and BS

• 2010 hopeful2010 hopeful Posts: 2,040Registered User Senior Member
    No andover students doing JMO?
  • Rad-in-Plaid96Rad-in-Plaid96 Posts: 3,208Registered User Senior Member
    what's JMO?
    a mathematics competition for 10th graders and below that is extremely difficult
  • FayMomFayMom Posts: 230Registered User Junior Member
    Here is my limited understanding, students in both groups are qualified by their AIME sores. AMC10 - AIME - JMO and AMC12 - AIME -USAMO. But a top few of AMC10/AIME winners (by certain calcultion of the two) are allowed to go to USAMO. I am not so sure if 9th/10th graders can take AMC12 directly or not. In any case, USAMO is the higher group than JMO, it is the REAL deal.

The USAMO winners make the US math Olympic Team. But only US citizens are allowed to be on the US team. So international student winners from BS are not qualified.
    Everyone who is 12th grade and below can take the AMC12. Many people only care about the USAMO but many of the people who are able to do JMO are also able to do USAMO later in their high school career. I was just wondering since Exeter had about equal numbers on the USAMO and JMO, why Andover doesn't have any people for JMO.
  • diamon153diamon153 Posts: 160Registered User Junior Member
    ^^we don't know how difficult JMO will be
    ^If someone took AMC 10 only and got 11 or higher on AIME, he/she gets into USAMO. Anyone can take AMC12.

The last part is sad. I want to go to MOP(I have chance for Red Mop). We should get rid of citizen ships and make the world more fair for everyone.
    I have heard about MOP/MOSP but what do the different colors mean?
    well since its math that explains why i don't know lol :p
  • diamon153diamon153 Posts: 160Registered User Junior Member
    ^^Black MOP - Top 12 students in US. 6 of them will be selected to be in US team for international math olympiad.
    Blue MOP - For next top 12-18 students who are not in 12th grade.
    Red MOP - for top 15-30 9th/10th grade students.
  • LvillegradLvillegrad Posts: 210Registered User Junior Member
    Did anybody notice the 4th grader who qualified for the USAMO? Wow!
  • assignassign Posts: 712Registered User Member
    Did anybody notice that there are mainly Asian surnames on the list?
  • DiveAliveDiveAlive Posts: 1,734Registered User Senior Member
    ^ "mostly"? HAHAHAHAHAA, you amuse me..

@ lvillegrad: wow, and there's a 6th grader too... absolute insanity!
    unsurprisingly, both of them are asian. hmm
    There were like 24 non asian (including india) sounding names on there.
  • LvillegradLvillegrad Posts: 210Registered User Junior Member
    Because the USAMO was brought up here, I might as well mention that back in ancient history when I was a 12th grader, I qualified for the USAMO. The structure was rather different, though. The AIME did not exist yet. There was only the AHSME and the top 100 students (not approximately 500 like there are now being divided between the USAMO and the USJAMO) were invited to take the USAMO. I did not qualify, however, for the team which competed internationally (which had 8 members at that time).

Just in case anybody was wondering why it was natural for me to set up that matriculation statistics website, this information might give a bit of background. :)
  • bestswimmerbestswimmer Posts: 515Registered User Member
    I don't think if there was any people from Groton, Middlesex,Brooks or Williston qualifies USAMO last year, none of these schools are mathematical power houses. Honestly, I admire the people who've qualified the USAMO through a school like listed above; unlike going to Exeter or Andover, which they already have an existing structure for the Olympiad training, on the other hand it takes a great deal of determination and passion to qualify USAMO from a non-math nor science school. Especially say Brooks or Williston, which are in fact second tier boarding schools, for these students to qualify USAMO means the students really have to put into more effort than their peers who go to schools like Exeter.