Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

How to convince your parents to let you go to prep school

Pi12345Pi12345 Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
edited August 2013 in Prep School Cafe
The name basically says it all. My parents are too attached to me and I desperately want to get away for awhile and live my life. Has anyone had really stubborn parents who took tons of convincing?
Post edited by Pi12345 on

Replies to: How to convince your parents to let you go to prep school

• loveyoutooloveyoutoo Registered User Posts: 343 Member
    Have you looked at great day schools, or 5-day boarding? If you live in New England, then there are numerous top day schools you should look at.
  • Pi12345Pi12345 Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    I do not live in new England and there are no boarding schools within 3 hours of me.
    Sorry, I'm going to a day school, so can't help much.
    There are probably other threads on this that you can look at. Check the parents forum, as well.
  • stressedoutttstressedouttt Registered User Posts: 4,111 Senior Member
    I know that this might be an unpopular opinion, but perhaps you should go along with your parents instead of trying to convince them.
    Depends on the level of the schools near you. There probably is at least one or two private day schools though.
  • patronyorkpatronyork Registered User Posts: 436 Member
    Try to show your parents (not just tell, show) you are mature enough to make your own decision. One of the reasons why parents seem to be attached to their children is they sometimes care too much about almost everything. If you could show them you are now able to take failure positively and learn from it, it may help them let you go.

Also, think about these questions. These are similar to what I asked my son (and ourselves) when he said he wanted to go to a boarding school.

1. Are you sure you are ready to leave home?
    2. Or is it just because you want to stay away from your parents?
    3. Are your parents financially capable? Or are you going for a financial aid?
    4. Do you understand there are also cons of boarding school?
    5. Is going to a top college your primary reason for the boarding school?
    6. Are you ready to handle rigorous workload and competitive pressure?
  • jackpajackpa Registered User Posts: 106 Junior Member
    My mom wasn't really on board until we actually visited the schools. Then she realized how good of an opportunity BS was for me.
    Buuuuuuuuuuuuump
    Bumping this thread
  • sfl2017sfl2017 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    Okay, so my dad went to boarding school but my mom didn't and she really didn't want to me go to boarding school. She let me apply, but she wouldn't let me apply to a school that was really have away (like 2 hours, tops). But the revisit day won her over.
    Just try to convince them to let you visit schools - like I said, my mom wasn't really on board until she visited and then take it from there.
  • KimberlyLailaKimberlyLaila Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
    if you're still looking i'd have to say to just sit down with them and have a serious talk about it. if it's money there's LOTS of financial aid. Also try and have BS alumni talk to them about it. Good luck! :)
  • LondonLadyLondonLady Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    What I did was I found pro's and cons of each school and took the reins of the admissions process. When my parents saw how dedicated I was to this they let me apply
  • goldenfygggoldenfygg Registered User Posts: 662 Member
    My mom introduced me to the idea of prep school lol. My dad was indifferent about the whole thing. But now they are really excited about the prospect of me going.
  • whimsicalwhimswhimsicalwhims Registered User Posts: 654 Member
    My dad introduced me, and both my parents support the idea, but my mother is a bit hesitant....
  • bschoolsearcherbschoolsearcher Registered User Posts: 161 Junior Member
    It was my idea but now both my parents are excited and totally supportive of me going