Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Choate AMA

bluenette23bluenette23 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
I'm a four-year senior at Choate. I know that decisions are either coming out/have already come out, and if accepted, it's tough to make a decision about where to attend. If you have any questions about the school, feel free to ask! I know I had plenty!

Replies to: Choate AMA

• Nico.campbellNico.campbell Registered User Posts: 362 Member
    edited March 18
    Hey! I recently got accepted to Choate and I am so excited to visit! In all honesty, are the students at Choate competitive in an academic sense? I've heard that top schools can be really cutthroat. How is Wallingford? Are there fun things to do there? Thank you! B-)
  • bluenette23bluenette23 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    I came from a middle-class public school, and honestly I found Choate to be less academically competitive than my middle school. There was no "what did you get on the test?!" sort of interrogation. From my personal experience, I didn't experience anything cutthroat until senior year with colleges, which is a nasty experience but unavoidable wherever you go. I found Choate to be the least cutthroat out of all the schools I looked at.

5-10 minute walking distance from campus includes an old-fashioned candy/ice-cream/cupcake store, two unique seat-yourself type places, a casual burger place, and two fancy restaurants. We also participate in a Meals on Call service, which will bring you food from all over Wallingford including Starbucks, Chik-fil-a, Panera, Chipotle, Domino's, real pizza, and others I'm sure. There's a big movie theatre with recliners and a trampoline park that are only a five-minute weekend shuttle away. If you're really stir crazy, they run free shuttles every other weekend to New Haven, which has the best pizza (Pepe's is better btw), shopping, and all sorts of unique food options. NYC is a two-hour train ride away, and Boston is about 3 hours away.

Choate itself puts on tons of stuff. Every other weekend there's a club-style dance with techno-style dance music, skimpy clothes, etc. There are two or more student productions every term. If you're into sports games, our football team hasn't lost a game since my freshman year, and school's pep club (Boar Pen) sponsors a game every weekend so people show up and have a good time. We also have visiting performers from time to time. All of this is free, btw. We also have a Tuck shop that sells milkshakes and burgers (in a new student's building for next year, which looks fantastic) and a Starbucks-style cafe in the math building.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
  • CottenCandyTrillCottenCandyTrill Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Is the student body diverse?