Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Boarding School Dorms

maxsanden27maxsanden27 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
edited August 26 in Prep School Cafe
Hello everyone!
I'm quite new to this forum and I have some questions I'd like to ask about the quality of dorms at different boarding schools and what makes them better than others.
P.S. I'm starting a new thread so I can get updated answers.
Thanks.
Post edited by vonlost on

Replies to: Boarding School Dorms

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 25,195 Super Moderator
    edited August 26
    The question is really moot.

The quality of dorms can vary by school and can also vary within each school. What makes one dorm, or room with a dorm, desirable is often personal preference. It can be location, it can be size, it can be the percentage of singles versus doubles, as examples.

That said, a dorm is not a reason to choose a boarding school. Additionally, at many schools, you get what you're assigned, so you need to make the best of it. You should also assume that, especially for schools that do not have dorms exclusively for freshmen, the best rooms/dorms will have been selected by returning students.

All dorms will have a bed, desk, chair, and a place to put your clothes. What else you are able to fit in can only be answered on a case by case basis.
  • maxsanden27maxsanden27 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Thanks for the help! @skieurope
  • SculptorDadSculptorDad Registered User Posts: 1,702 Senior Member
    The biggest aspect of most dorms is your roommate, which you can spend effort to make it working and/or try to personally choose (from the second year).
  • applejuice007applejuice007 Registered User Posts: 145 Junior Member
    edited September 21
    they're nice
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 13,246 Senior Member
    For my kids, the most important thing was whether they were living in the same dorm with friends or not. They'd forgo a nicer dorm, bigger room for proximity to buddies.

IMO, for the schools I'm most familiar with, in general the dorms are nicer than college dorms. Partially because they don't get trashed by drunk people. :)