Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What motivated you to apply?

innerstar2innerstar2 Posts: 83Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2010 in Prep School Cafe
What motivated you to apply to the schools you did?

What motivated me to apply to Chatham Hall was
-The ridding program and permanent trails.
-The library
-small student body
-The newly remodeled dining hall( Yardley hall)
-how much of a family the school seems to be, it's heartwarming!
-Creative writing classes
-writer-in-residence program
-The fact that i have a good chance of getting a single room!
-The fact that breakfast is not required if your a junior, you can just have cereal in your room!
-They switch up what class you have first evey other week so you won't feel like you're in a rut
-Cookie break, a break were you eat cookies and have a break, Trust me i am not making this up!
-You can trust that no one will steal your things, they take their honor code very seriously
-it's in a small town and i think after living in the city all my life i could use some clean air and peace of mind.
-I'll get to attend church services more often
Post edited by innerstar2 on

Replies to: What motivated you to apply?

• toombs61toombs61 Posts: 755Registered User Member
    The prime, if not sole, reason that my son applied to BS's was that he broke his back and could not participate in sports for 18 months. He tried to obtain a medical red-shirt. so that he could have another year of high school and, in turn, another year of high school sports. The school system in our home state didn't permit red-shirting. So, he applied to BS's in order to repeat his sophomore year (but not his sophomore classes) and to recapture his lost year in athleticis. Because he had very good grades, a strong academic base acquired from four years of rigorous studying at an excellent private day school, and first rate SSAT's, we decided that he would shoot for the moon and apply to the best BS's in the counrty, along with some safety schools. He was accepted to a top BS and now attends that school.

So, my son took a very painful lemon (a broken back) and turned it into delicious lemonade (enrolling into Hotchkiss, making honor roll and playing varsity sports). He has gone from nightmare to dream.
  • boardinboardin Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    I chose to apply because I the public High School I went to didn't take academics seriously. It was a bit hard (my parents assumed I was the kid who'd live at home until she was 30), but I think it was the right choice. Perhaps the biggest factor in my choice of school was which school put me into the smallest amount of culture shock.
  • natalietnataliet Posts: 74Registered User Junior Member
    I chose to apply because...

- The academics at the boarding schools I applied to were far more rigorous than those offered at my school. I wanted to push myself to the limit, challenge myself, and see what I was capable of.

- The large selection of courses to choose from astounded me, and gave me a broader view of what I could potentially be doing. I would be able to do what I wanted to do; something that I was interested in.

- There are great teachers around to help you and you don't have to wait for the next day to ask a question about the homework material, or just to talk. The students seem to have closer bonds with the teacher, and I wanted to be able to develop deeper connections with my teachers.

- The enormous amount of resources. Everything the boarding schools had surpassed the quality and the quantity of those of my school's. It gave me access to more knowledge and information.

- The bonds that classmates/schoolmates seem to have. It's as if they were going to be friends for the rest of their lives, and I'd like to have friends that I'll keep by my side forever as well.

- The variety of sports offered, and the levels at which they are offered at. The boarding schools introduces physical activity to students at any level, and it encourages students to be healthy. I am a competitive athlete, and the teams that go to competitions are all very good, and I would want to be part of that.

- The school spirit. The schools are all so tight-knit, and it would be wonderful if I could participate!

...and a lot more that I either can't think of right now, or can't be bothered to write :)
  • urbanflopurbanflop Posts: 1,682Registered User Senior Member
    What school do you go to nataliet?
  • redbluegoldgreenredbluegoldgreen Posts: 1,230Registered User Senior Member
    The cookies and milk post above gave me a chuckle. Of course, it wouldn't be a main reason to go to any school, but it's these little perc's that create a warm and inviting atmosphere, like feeling like you'er being taken care of.

It reminded me of my alma mater. At Cornell, during finals, after studying at the library, cookies and milk are served at Willard Straight Hall, aka the Straight. It was always fun to connect with fellow classmates, after a long grueling day of studying for a little wholesome nightcap if you will before turning in. Thanks for that nice memory.
  • candidate123candidate123 Posts: 1,042Registered User Senior Member
    academics and atmosphere