Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Illinois Math and Science Academy (IMSA)

Debogal21Debogal21 Posts: 31Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2011 in Prep School Cafe
Heyy... can anyone give me all the info they know about this school or other schools like it ? thanks :)
Post edited by Debogal21 on

Replies to: Illinois Math and Science Academy (IMSA)

• Alexz825MomAlexz825Mom Posts: 730Registered User Member
    Only Illinois residents can attend. Wonderful school, but surely more math/science than anything else.

We considered if for my d but she is more Humanities/English/Language and then she dances and they dont focus on sports.

It is more like the MIT high school or the TJHSST of Illinois.
  • nemomnemom Posts: 1,607Registered User Senior Member
    MIT high school?
  • Debogal21Debogal21 Posts: 31Registered User Junior Member
    alexz825mom: where did your daughter attend? and what are those other high schools?
  • meezermom2meezermom2 Posts: 84Registered User Junior Member
    My daughter graduated from IMSA. It is a public residential high school for Illinois residents in grades 10, 11, and 12. It is a wonderful high school but not for everyone. Students are required to take math every semester. Sophomores take 2 science courses each semester. To graduate a student must have 3 math credits, 4 science credits, an additional credit of math/science, 2 1/2 social studies credits, 3 English credits, 1/2 Fine Arts credits, and 2 Foreign language credits. One credit of foreign language must be second year or above. Also a year of phys ed is required.

IMSA does not have a football team but does offer many other sports. If anyone has additional specific questions please post them and I will be happy to answer them.
  • YummyCinYummyCin Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    I think by MIT high school, Alexz825Mom meant a strong Math/Science school.
    TJHSST is a public (or selective enrollment) high school in Virginia, I believe. For both IMSA and TJHSST my opinion is kind of "If you haven't heard about it, or aren't an adult with small children or no kids at all, don't worry about them."

If you live in Illinois, and you're passionate about the sciences, definitely seriously consider it. If you're going into ninth grade, still apply. Don't be too upset if you don't get in as a rising Freshman.

I never seriously considered IMSA, as I am not a Math/Science person. Illinois History and Philosophy Academy would be more my school, if only it existed. *wistful*
  • Debogal21Debogal21 Posts: 31Registered User Junior Member
    @meezermom2- if i think of more ?'s 'll defiantly post them!
    and @yummycin, i know what you mean! illinois seriously needs a History and Philosophy Academy(:
  • bison151515bison151515 Posts: 37Registered User Junior Member
    are you kidding?!?! if your daughter is into dance... IMSA's dance team as won state 3 times out of the last 4 years.
  • Alexz825MomAlexz825Mom Posts: 730Registered User Member
    bison--my d is a classical ballet dancer, not a dance team member.
  • mijikingmijiking Posts: 109Registered User Junior Member
    I have couple of friends who sent their kids to IMSA. Yes, it is only for Stat of Illinois resident and more focused on Math and Science. Their record is looking good compared with the public schools. If you think about liberal arts college, IMSA may not of your interest. It is boarding school and competitive to get in also.