Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

International student/need your opinion

sailforeversailforever Posts: 7Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Prep School Chances
Hi everyone!

I am an international student and I am applying to the several US schools for 9th grade 2013-2014. I am going to be a day student. Here is my information, please tell what do you think! Be as brutally honest as you can please. Thank you!!! :)

GRADES:
I have all As.
I am a member of the school's Math Team, Advanced Geography Club, Advanced English Club, Native Language Club. Placed in several Math, Biology, English and Physics competitions. Honored for the best project presentation twice. I take English and French.

TESTS:
My SSAT scores are currently low, but I am working on them.
I didn't take TOEFUL yet.

EXTRACURRICULARS:
Sports: golf, lacrosse, petanque, field hockey, ping-pong, swimming, archery, water skiing, soccer, basketball, yoga, volleyball etc. For me the MOST important sport is sailing!!! I am literally in love with this wonderful sport!!! I sail professionally as a member of The National Team.
Art: pottery, drama studio, painting, school decorating committee, photography, batique, origami.
I am an active member of the student government at my school and community service.

Why school in US?
I am currently enrolled in one of the best private schools in my country and I am at the top of my grade both academically and athletically. I feel that it is not enough challenge for me anymore, my school gave me everything that I could learn from them. That's why my parents and I started a new school research. Initially we were looking for a school in Europe, but didn't find the right fit for me and decided to look at the US schools. Right now I have a list of schools that look like the best fit for me. They all have a very strong academic level, new opportunities to develop myself, active community live, a wide athletic variety and lots more. Also some of the schools have sailing, which is very important to me.

Here is the list:
Milton Academy
Noble and Greenough School
BU Academy
The Newman School
Middlesex
Thayer Academy

P.S.If you have any thoughts or advice for me, please share, any information is helpful!

Thank you for taking time to read this, I really appreciate it! :)
Post edited by sailforever on

Replies to: International student/need your opinion

• GMTplus7GMTplus7 Posts: 6,030Registered User Senior Member
    Why not a boarding school? That would seem a more logical option than a day school for someone coming from so far away.
  • sailforeversailforever Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    It's just some family staff.. my parents don't really want me to be a boarder
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Posts: 6,030Registered User Senior Member
    It's just some family staff..

"staff" ??? Your parents would rather have you supervised by domestic help, rather than by teachers in a structured boarding school setting?
  • sailforeversailforever Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    That's a really good question! But we were thinking about our decision very carefully and it is based on a lot of important reasons. Thank you for your posts, but we've already made a decision. By the way, I am amazed by the number of posts you've made! You actually helped a lot of people!!!
  • DamarisDamaris Posts: 265Registered User Junior Member
    I hope you realize that it is much harder to get into most boarding schools as a day student than as a boarder. Additionally, most schools would look negatively at the concept that you would live off-campus with domestic help. Third, it might be difficult to get a visa for the person or persons you would live with if they too are non-citizens.