Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chance me?

alison914alison914 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited December 2012 in Prep School Chances
Hi, I'm an eighth grader applying for ninth at various boarding schools. Lately I've been getting a little nervous about being accepted so it'd be great if others could tell me their honest opinions.
I'm applying for these schools:
Blair Academy
Exeter
Andover
Possibly Kent and SPS

Grades:
All As on report cards throughout 6th and 7th. The marking period hasn't ended yet for 8th but so far I have all 95%+.

Classes:
Accelerated math, reading, LA
Taking an Enrichment/Gifted and Talented class

Recommendations:
My LA/Reading and Math teachers both like me so I think these will be good.

Extracurriculars:
Piano for eight years. My piano teacher just recently passed away. :(
Cello for four years - I am first cello in the school orchestra and the school's select orchestra and got a private teacher around May.
Soccer - I've been playing rec soccer since about second grade but I joined a travel team this past year.
Art - I've won several art competitions. This is one of my biggest passions.
Chinese - My mom is from China and I've been learning Mandarin for about 2 1/2 years.
Horseback riding - This is mostly just for fun but I love horses and have been riding for 2 or 3 years.

SSAT:
I just took it and think I did pretty good (at least 90%ile) but I'm taking it again in December.

Thanks so much for your comments, they're greatly appreciated!
Post edited by alison914 on

Replies to: Chance me?

• SevenDadSevenDad Posts: 2,413Registered User Senior Member
    I hardly ever comment on "Chance Me" threads because I think they are pointless. But here goes...

Great stats and your cello skills/experience will be a good hook for any school looking to beef up that section of their orchestra.

That said, you are by your own disclosure at least half Asian and a girl...which I've been told is a VERY competitive applicant pool (I say this as the Asian father of a daughter who is currently at BS.) If you need FA, it'll be even more competitive.

One last thought I offer is this: You are wise to have Kent and Blair on your list in addition to A&E. Be sure that you are just as excited to attend those schools as A&E. While it may be too late to add any schools to your mix, you may want to consider a an all-girls school like Emma Willard or Miss Porter's to the list (if you are open to a single-sex school).

And there, I've gone a whole post without mentioning St. Andrew's. Oh, whoops!
  • alison914alison914 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    @SevenDad: Thank you! I am half Asian and am aware that the competition is very tough. Blair is actually my top choice and my horse riding friend goes to Kent and recommended it. I will definitely consider those two schools. Again, thanks!
    I'm not applying for FA either, forgot to include that.
    I just got my SSAT scores and I scored a 93%ile. Sorry for adding all these replies, I'm not sure if there's a way to edit my original post.
    >>>bump<<<
  • 24daffodils24daffodils Posts: 82Registered User Junior Member
    Alison, I'm glad to hear that Blair is your top choice. It ended up being DC's first choice as well after visiting, in a field of some outstanding schools which offered acceptances. DC is so happy to be there now.

Please do a search for my recent write-ups on the board about Blair, or PM/email me and I'll be happy to share what I know. One thing I have been struck by is how often Blair is spoken of well by kids at other schools, even their arch-rival Peddie (yes laughalittle, your school Peddie is pretty terrific too :) )
  • laughalittlelaughalittle Posts: 560Registered User Member
    Haha 24daffidodils, thanks for the compliment!