Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Prep school disciplinary policy re alerting colleges

Replies to: Prep school disciplinary policy re alerting colleges

• GnarWhailGnarWhail Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    @Sue22 How can I claim that? The exact same way that you can make a claim.

And the point is not that one school handles things differently than another school. All schools depend on their staff for enforcement, and some staff at every school will be super-lenient and others will be insane sticklers. When you're a kid at any school, it is often a coin-toss which one you run into when make your mistake.

From what I've seen, if a high-ranking trustee, enthusiastic donor, current principal or whoever has their kid face discipline, it is always with the expressed written consent of the family and the NFL. Every single one of these schools knows who is really in charge. And some of those wealthy powerful parents have no problem sending their idiot spawn such a message if they think it will help.

As always, consider the source and the posting history.
  • 123Mom456123Mom456 Registered User Posts: 372 Member
    OP's DS tested positive and was suspended for breaking a school rule. Some may think the punishment was harsh but he was attending a school where he agreed to abide by these rules. Regardless of how the school found out, the kid broke the rules.
  • GnarWhailGnarWhail Registered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    And every rule breaker should be punished as harshly as the law will allow every single time! Witch! Sinner!!

But...

Oh...
  • Korab1Korab1 Registered User Posts: 305 Member
    Is there a contract out there that requires a kid submit to a drug test at the whim and whimsy of the school? I haven't seen that. I agree with @GnarWhail - the school went overboard here. Every kids first response when something bad like this goes down should be to ask to speak with his or her parents before being questioned further.
  • doschicosdoschicos Registered User Posts: 11,930 Senior Member
    Most certainly each school has a contract and parents and students are required to sign a statement that they have read and abide by that year's handbook which they are provided. Boarding Schools have good legal counsel.

@Korab1 Are you a current or prospective parent? Make sure you read what you are signing.
    I have reviewed everything carefully - there is nothing in the ones I have reviewed that authorizes them to demand a drug test.
    Under any circumstances or just the scenario described by the OP?
  • psparentpsparent Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    The deans need some basis for a search or drug test but the threshold is VERY low. It is not spelled out in the parent manual. Also, many schools breathalyze before dances (also at breakfast after prom!)
    @doschicos The ones I have reviewed are silent. That doesn't mean they cant ask, but it does mean they would have a hard time imposing discipline for declining to submit to a test they don't have the authority to ask for. If you are sober and have nothing on you and no illegal or impermissible conduct was alleged to have happened on campus, then what is their authority to ask for it? Weed is especially problematic, as it will show up in your urine for 30 days - Is the school going to kick you out because you smoked weed or had a beer while on Christmas break 17 states away?
    edited April 20
    It's interesting. I was just reading through Hotchkiss' policies out of curiosity as a one strike, no-chance school. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. The way I read it is:

- no second chances. Caught drinking or doing drugs on campus, you're gone.

- no stated policy for off campus behavior but if you return to campus under the influence, you are gone. As long as you do all your partying and recovering from such off campus, looks like you are all good.

To me this would raise a concern that student partying is being pushed off campus. Very harsh penalties on campus, little to no penalties on campus. Much as I don't like colleges with overbearing on-campus policies because I feel it drives such activity off campus, I think the Hotchkiss policy could potentially have the same effect. Off campus sojourns can lead to things like DUI, greater risks of sexual assault, greater risks of substance related injuries, etc.

" Is the school going to kick you out because you smoked weed or had a beer while on Christmas break 17 states away?"

Unless it's a zero strike school, no, they wouldn't kick you out but you'd be on some kind of probation if caught having weed in your system. For alcohol, it would be out of your bloodstream upon your return to campus.
    edited April 20
    @psparent If its not spelled out in the parent/student manual then where is it spelled out? This is like the cop pressuring a kid to search a car when they know they don't have any right in the world to do it without consent, so they scare them into consenting even though there's a bale of weed in the trunk.
  • carpoolingmacarpoolingma Registered User Posts: 325 Member
    Our public schools breathalyze before dances.
    @doschicos All good points, but Hotchkiss probably isnt the best example to illustrate your point. Hotchkiss is in Lakeville, CT and kids aren't allowed to have cars there, period. It is pretty difficult to get off campus there. At more suburban/urban schools, I agree, it could drive the conduct underground, which has the potential to be more dangerous.
    I wonder how many take weekends away of campus, though. Is that a thing? Going into NYC or some lenient parent's house for the weekend? I could imagine that happening for sure. I know the school has Saturday classes so it would make it less doable but still doable.