Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use the following form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CCSearchSurvey

Princeton to reinstate early admission program

monstor344monstor344 Registered User Posts: 2,502 Senior Member
edited February 2011 in Princeton University
Post edited by monstor344 on

Replies to: Princeton to reinstate early admission program

• monstor344monstor344 Registered User Posts: 2,502 Senior Member
    Apparently Harvard did the same today. Wow!
  • 2ndof32ndof3 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    I'm not surprised about this especially since UVA took the lead recently and went back to an EA program. UVA, Harvard and Princeton were really the only big name schools that dropped their early admit programs four years ago.
  • fauvefauve Registered User Posts: 3,492 Senior Member
    Yale and Stanford were receiving record applications with their SCEA programs, now H & P can lock up some early talent, and the athletic teams can sew up their rosters early without so many likely letters.
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 16,731 Senior Member
    They are still going to need the likely letters to get athletes to apply under SCEA rules and not to commit to other programs.
  • scrivenerscrivener Registered User Posts: 797 Member
    I'll be applying for the class of 2016, and will definitely be applying ea. This way, I won't be competing against all of the applicants who are applying to Pton in case they don't get into Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc. Am I right in assuming that this is good for an average (meaning, average by princeton standards) applicant who knows that Princeton is their very first choice? It's not just meant for athletes and the like?
  • EngineerjwEngineerjw Registered User Posts: 1,136 Senior Member
    This stinks. I would have applied early for class of 2015. I am a legacy, and it would have helped.
  • lake42kslake42ks Registered User Posts: 1,171 Member
    SCEA makes it hard for applicants to gamble.
  • GreedIsGoodGreedIsGood Registered User Posts: 2,039 Senior Member
    What happens if you do SCEA at multiple colleges (i.e. HYP)? Will schools know if you did this?
  • FatumFatum Registered User Posts: 876 Member
    SCEA is almost similar to ED, so I would not want to run the risk of having the schools find out.
    If you decide to participate in this optional interview, there are only a few days remaining to complete it. There are currently openings for this Friday, February 25 and on Monday, February 28.

I think it's the general consensus on CC that applying early places you in a more competitive pool of applicants.
  • GreedIsGoodGreedIsGood Registered User Posts: 2,039 Senior Member
    But SCEA is non binding, so if you get into both, there wouldn't be any obvious problem.
  • onecircuitonecircuit - Posts: 637 Member
    Yale's acceptance rate and Yield for Early Action admittees are 13.9% and 80.0%

College Search - Yale University - Admission
    Number of early action applications received: 5,262
    Number admitted under early action plan: 729
    Number enrolled under early action plan: 583
  • SaugusSaugus Registered User Posts: 3,903 Senior Member
    I wish it had been ED.

Any estimate on the acceptance rate? Will a lot of competitive kids go for Harvard and Yale SCEA instead?

Will Princeton SCEA be more competitive than Chicago SCEA?
  • SaugusSaugus Registered User Posts: 3,903 Senior Member
    I wish it had been ED.

Any estimate on the acceptance rate? Will a lot of competitive kids go for Harvard and Yale SCEA instead?

Will Princeton SCEA be more competitive than Chicago SCEA?
  • BonjourGinnyBonjourGinny Registered User Posts: 42 New Member
    Will this affect athletes? If I apply normally, is there a chance I could still get a likely letter, or should I just apply SCEA?
This discussion has been closed.