Before doing an overnight visit at a school, I would wait until acceptance, unless the school is a safety school, or at least a 50-50 shot.
Since the chances of getting into Princeton or any other Ivy is low, I would wait until acceptance before spending the time for an overnight visit. In the mean time, have him do overnight visits at the schools where he is likely to get in. If your son is accepted, Princeton will pair your son up with a student for an overnight visit; I assume the other Ivies will as well.
When I was at Princeton, the school had fewer applicants, and would arrange for them to stay with a student overnight before acceptance. We hosted no end of kids, and most didn’t get in. Your son probably won’t have eight surprises come April 1, so if he has spent overnights at his likely and safety schools before then, the month of April won’t be total panic as he chooses his college.
Last edited by EarthPig; 09-24-2012 at 04:33 PM.