Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Academic Index

xatuuatxxatuuatx Posts: 502Registered User Member
edited November 2007 in Princeton University
Is the Academic Index (AI) actually used as the overall academic rating of a person in ivy league admissions?

AI Calculator

Academic Index Calculator - Hernandez College Consulting - Ivy league admission - Ivy league admissions - Ivy league consulting, consultants, consultant - college consulting - college consultants - college consultant

BTW- that gave me a 231.5- excellent chances- but I kind of doubt that I could base my chances on that.....
Post edited by xatuuatx on

Replies to: Academic Index

• GR EltonGR Elton Posts: 371Registered User Member
    No, it's not (at least outside of Dartmouth). Each of the top schools has its own proprietary system of evaluating the academic quality of applicants. Harvard's system, for example--which I'd argue is a much better analogue to Princeton than the Academic Index--is well and extensively described by Chuck Hughes.
  • debate_addictdebate_addict Posts: 2,307Registered User Senior Member
    Wrong! Check your facts - in A is for admission the Dartmouth admissions officer clearly states that it is something all the Ivies have been using. I'm guessing the differences in admissions lie @ the extent to which Ivies choose to take AI into consideration.
    Wrong! Check your facts - in A is for admission the Dartmouth admissions officer clearly states that it is something all the Ivies have been using. I'm guessing the differences in admissions lie @ the extent to which Ivies choose to take AI into consideration.

The Academic Index is used across the Ivy League for athletic recruiting purposes (there are rules on how far athletes can deviate from the academic norm). For admission of non-athletes, however, it most assuredly is not, and Hernandez does not claim it is.
  • gametheorygametheory Posts: 288- Junior Member
    Is it possible that you can sum up what Chuck Hughes basically states regarding Harvard's admissions system? I would be most grateful if you can.
    I don't have the book at hand, and I don't want to break copyright. So go here, go to "search inside this book", search for 'academic rating', go to page 161, and start reading (you can use the arrow-bars on the side to go to the next page, etc.).