Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

whats a URM?

sushant269sushant269 Posts: 730- Member
edited April 2010 in Princeton University
please tell me.
Post edited by sushant269 on

Replies to: whats a URM?

• MarathonMan88MarathonMan88 Posts: 1,321Registered User Senior Member
    under-represented minority, sometimes referred to as ALANA students (Asian/Latino(a)/African-American/Native American).
  • GR EltonGR Elton Posts: 371Registered User Member
    Only some Asians (read: not East Asians or Indians) are underrepresented.
  • sushant269sushant269 Posts: 730- Member
    darn. I m a poor indian in Philadelphia, PA. I guess im not a URM
  • CelitaCelita Posts: 576Registered User Member
    What if your multi-racial, like Black and Caucasian, or Asian and Mexican? How does Princeton consider this?
  • Ernie H.Ernie H. Posts: 1,224Registered User Senior Member
    The official position is that if you have enough minority blood in you to make you "identify" with a certain minority culture, you belong to that minority.

Translation: If there is any way that you could be associated with a minority group, it is to your benefit to take advantage of it. In other words, if you are half, or even a quarter URM, Princeton will you consider you fully URM if you mark the appropriate box on your application.

Weird, huh?
  • cecils15cecils15 Posts: 134Registered User Junior Member
    ^^^^if you are half or a quarter, shouldn't you mark bi-racial or mult-racial?
    naw.................
  • Tyler09Tyler09 Posts: 2,768Registered User Senior Member
    So i dont get it Ernie, i mean obviously you are very apathetic towards the definition of a URM and dissagree with colleges practices regarding them. Yet you encourage people to exploit them? Doesn't that just make you self-serving?
    Yes.... 10char
  • CelitaCelita Posts: 576Registered User Member
    So if you are multi racial, you shouldn't check multi racial but instead just the URM side? Hmm.
  • lunalovegoodlunalovegood Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    Do colleges look for religious diversity as well? My last name is obviously Jewish; do you think that could help me?
  • GR EltonGR Elton Posts: 371Registered User Member
    Jews are a vastly over-represented group (even more so than Asians percentage-wise).
  • Tyler09Tyler09 Posts: 2,768Registered User Senior Member
    ^^^actually it might be an advantage to check both sides, because people checking that they are multicultural are a lot rarer in the applicant pool and add even another perspective.
  • tennisgeek1tennisgeek1 Posts: 222Registered User Junior Member
    so happy im black!!!!!!
  • bicyclekickbicyclekick Posts: 958Registered User Member
    how about being middle eastern? my name is obviously arabic....yet i'm putting down my race as white since i heard middle easterners are considered white lol....still, does it help?