Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Word Limit - 500 words does not equal 7900 characters

CardinaldreamsCardinaldreams Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2008 in Princeton University
Hey,
You know the word limit for the option Essay is 500 which equals about 3000 characters but in the box below 7900 characters are allowed which equals about 1200 words? What does this mean - I mean surely if they were just allowing for space they would allow 800 words?

Please help
Post edited by Cardinaldreams on

Replies to: Word Limit - 500 words does not equal 7900 characters

• fiona_fiona_ Posts: 1,811Registered User Senior Member
    500 words is the guideline. The character limit is probably just for people who like to use really long words, or use the space-bar too often. L i k e t h i s .

But anyway, try to stick to 500 words. Up to 600 is fine, but beyond that--try to cut it down.
  • CardinaldreamsCardinaldreams Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
    I am really worried because I have hired a really expensive guidance counsellor who has told me that for this supplement you should write about 2 pages.. (6000 characters) which I have done.. But I really dont want him to be wrong and my application thrown out in the trash
  • fiona_fiona_ Posts: 1,811Registered User Senior Member
    How many words is your essay?
    about 1100...
    and 6400 characters so it fits into the box (800 charcters under)..
  • PeytonclinePeytoncline Posts: 2,465Registered User Senior Member
    It says approx. 500 words; I would not go too much over, unless it is a nobel prize-winning work of art

They will not like it if they have to read a 1000+ word essay (translation --> it will probably hurt your chances)

The character limit is so large just to be safe, I think. Who knows, maybe someone's 500 word essay is 7000 characters (I highly doubt it, but it could happen, maybe..).

Follow Princeton's guideline, NOT the huge character limit.
  • plumsnowplumsnow Posts: 159Registered User Junior Member
    in general, i'd say "500-word" essays should be no less than 400 words and no more than 750 words. most people like to fill up one page single-spaced or two pages double-spaced. it's not that you necessarily won't get in with a really long essay - it's just that they have such a limited amount of time to review the whole application, and they won't want to read a really long essay unless it has something that requires that it be so long. like admissions always says, don't put anything in that won't add to your application - so make sure every part of the essay is really essential if it's going to be that long!
  • hikidshikids Posts: 1,284Registered User Senior Member
    Definitely stick to the recommendation on any of this stuff.
  • BegonerBegoner Posts: 330Registered User Member
    Just have an average word length of 15.8 letters and you should be fine.
  • vivizzlevivizzle Posts: 14Registered User New Member
    hey guys, i have a question about the 4th essay.

did any of you use quotes that weren't from a book or essay? i have a good one that's not from a book/essay, and i'm not sure if i should use it or not...
  • PeytonclinePeytoncline Posts: 2,465Registered User Senior Member
    ^what's it from?
  • vivizzlevivizzle Posts: 14Registered User New Member
    it's a mark twain quote lol