Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Princeton vs. Dartmouth

belle_10belle_10 Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2010 in Princeton University
I really cannot choose.... Which do you think is better, and why? [I'm going to post this in the Dartmouth forums as well.] Thanks for your help!
Post edited by belle_10 on

Replies to: Princeton vs. Dartmouth

• BuddyMcAwesomeBuddyMcAwesome Posts: 890Registered User Member
    What major are you looking at? Overall, Princeton is a better school, but there are some departments that Dartmouth's probably better at. Also, Dartmouth is in Podunk, while Princeton near Philly and NYC and plenty of other stuff.
  • eating foodeating food Posts: 1,927Registered User Senior Member
    ^ I will say that Princeton really does give you great access to nyc. I have a friend who goes there and she is ALWAYS in the city. Princeton is good about providing students with VERY affordable tickets to broadway/the met.

On the other hand, my friend at Dartmouth loves it (but take this with a grain of salt... there's no doubt in my mind she would have gone to princeton had she gotten in).
  • midatlmommidatlmom Posts: 1,406Registered User Senior Member
    Dartmouth is an excellent school and has a wonderful commitment to undergraduate teaching. Here are some of the things I think you would enjoy about Princeton

1. Amazing teachers, top departments in numerous fields, huge emphasis on undergraduate teaching
    2. Close knit low-key intelligent happy student body where most kids remain on campus for 4 years. A little different than Dartmouth because of the D plan, which, while great for internships, also means that sometimes you don't see your friends for 6 months at a time.
    3. Intelligent administration which is focusing on the arts (a news arts neighborhood is in the works) and new science buildings and programs, while not neglecting other areas. The administration has been in the forefront of proposing innovative programs, such as the Bridge Year, a paid for gap year.
    4. Beautiful campus, nice suburban location, reasonably close to NYC and Philly (and with easy on campus access to trains)
    5. I see that you are interested in journalism. Princeton offers amazing professors and courses in that field. Here's a link to the guest journalism professors on campus Professors of Journalism - Faculty - Princeton University Council of the Humanities and the fall 2010 courses include ones taught by Newsweek's Editor-at-Large and NYT and Sports Illustrated senior writers (here's the link Princeton University Council of the Humanities)
    6. Overall, just a great school and a wonderful undergraduate experience.

Good luck with your choice.
  • JohnAdams12JohnAdams12 Posts: 2,587- Senior Member
    If you are looking for a great college experience - then go to Dartmouth

however

If you are looking for the single most incredible four years of your life - then go to Princeton.