Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

mommdc Senior Member

3,830 Points 4,850 Visits 8,174 Posts
Last Active:
Registered User
  • Re: Access Codes! The cost driver of books in college...

    @SeeksKnowledge, I think the publisher? I believe my D got the info for online access from the professor.
  • Re: 2016-2017 Financial aid

    But if EFC is too high for Pell grant anyway, what aid were you getting?

    You should be able to take your maximum direct loans regardless, depending on COA some may be subsidized.
  • Re: 2016-2017 Financial aid

    If you received more aid than you were entitled to, then the school has to return it and you will probably have to pay them back.

    Why would you file single if you were married?

    If changing your tax return from single to married resulted in a tax refund, maybe you can use that money to repay the $520.

    You should have finished the verification process ahead of starting school so you would know what aid you will receive.

    Is this a for-profit college?
  • Re: I recently had my mother apply for a parent direct plus loan and got denied?? now what?

    I am saying fix your FAFSA if it is wrong because it's always better to get more grants than take out loans, because grants don't have to be paid back.

    Even if it still means that you can't afford Clarion.

    If you get more grants then you need to borrow less money and then in four years you might only have a $100 a month loan payment instead of $400 or $500 a month.

    What was the income you put on your FAFSA? If it was more than what your mom earned ALONE in 2015 then it is wrong.

    Go to EU with the paperwork on Monday to see if they can help you.

    Tell them you did it wrong and your mom is separated and show them her income from 2015 (she probably got a W2 form from her employer).

  • Re: Parents of the HS Class of 2018

    @MACmiracle please don't think that those schools don't provide an intellectual environment.

    As long as she is taking science and neuroscience courses she will be academically challenged, I'm sure.

    And visit or talk with department heads about research focus and opportunities.

    From what I hear that can be found at research universities and LACs alike.

    And lastly, a lot of good students have financial restrictions and can be found at non prestigious public schools, get merit and go on to accomplish great things.

    The schools you mentioned are fine schools.

    An urban school might have an advantage of easier access to hospitals.