Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chances for Purdue Engineering

Skippy313Skippy313 Posts: 6Registered User New Member
Hi all, I'm looking for some advise as to my chances of admission into Purdue's General Engineering Program. Any input is highly appreciated!

*Out of State* (Virginia)
Race: White

GPA W: 4.07
GPA NW: 3.84
Class Rank: 10/350 (Top 3%)

ACT: 26 (E: 25, M: 25, R: 27, S: 27)
*I know my test scores aren't stellar, but will they be detrimental to my admission?*

Course Load: As hard as possible. My school offers something called the Cambridge Program, which is the British Equivalent of AP.

-AP courses: 2
-AICE courses (British eq. of AP): 7
-IGCSE courses (British eq of Pre AP) 4

EC's: Pretty Good. I will not list all my involvements, but I am an officer in numerous clubs and have participated in many hours of community service

Senior Year Schedule:

AICE Thinking Skills II (Problem Solving)
AICE Chemistry
AICE Biology
AICE English Lit
AP Government
Finance
Functions/Trig (Pre-Calc)

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Post edited by Skippy313 on

Replies to: Chances for Purdue Engineering

• BalthezarBalthezar Posts: 1,474Registered User Senior Member
    You need to get that ACT score up. Especially that math score of 25. Take it again as soon as possible, and grab a couple of review guides with practice tests. Otherwise you'd have to be classified as a slight reach to a reach.
  • JimgotkpJimgotkp Posts: 2,854Registered User Senior Member
    Wouldn't worry too much about it. I think you'd get into the FYE program for sure.
  • madkonamadkona Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    You will be accepted for sure. I am from Oregon, white, male, 3.20 gpa, 1300 sat, and had leadership experience and got accepted to engineering. Once you get into the general engineering program getting into your chosen major is quite a bit harder though.

As we sometimes say. "Purdue, where your best isn't good enough since 1869."
  • tonyecctonyecc Posts: 278Registered User Junior Member
    madkona, 1300/1600 ?
  • highoffyouhighoffyou Posts: 47Registered User Junior Member
    skippy; those look like great stats. i had the opposite - low gpa high test scores (3.00, 2240) and i was admitted to engineering today.

your excellent GPA and rank will make up for your test scores. i think it's too late now to take any tests for consideration, but your scores aren't that bad anyways.

good luck (:
  • CS 13CS 13 Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    Hello everyone,
    I'm an international student (Nepal) with average scores (I guess) and average Ec's. However, I am very very very much interested in Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering at Purdue. (I lost hope of getting into an Ivy after my SAT scores came out.)

SAT:
    CR 590
    Math 680
    Writing 630
    Total 1900
    Composite 1270

TOEFL 109
    SAT II (Physics, Math I and Literature; scores not out yet)

GPA- 3.75
    Rank- Top 2% (most competitive school in the country with rigorous curriculum)

EC's:
    President- Astronautics club
    Coordinator- student magazine committee
    Event Manager- social service council
    Volunteer- Interact club (Rotary International)
    Volunteer- International Year of Astronomy 2009 programs in Nepal
    Member- environment club

What are my chances?????
  • msl2008msl2008 Posts: 307Registered User Junior Member
    I would say you're borderline with that ACT score and even if you do get in, you'll be one of those students who has a hard time staying in with that low math score unless you don't think it represents you.
  • tortidotortido Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    Not trying to be negative, but my GPA was 3.89 and I was third in my class and I didn't get accepted into their engineering program. I had above average SAT scores, but still too low for them. And I had ton of leadership positions and community service and that didn't get me in, so I wouldn't get your hopes up, but you never know!