Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Purdue Merit Scholarship

littlefallslittlefalls Posts: 283Registered User Junior Member
Does any know when they start to let applicants know about their merit scholarship $$$ like the Presidents Scholarship?
Post edited by littlefalls on

Replies to: Purdue Merit Scholarship

• fourkidsmomfourkidsmom Posts: 737Registered User Member
    My son got accepted in the fall but I don't think he heard about scholarships until spring- closer to the April 15 deadline
  • Tmac18Tmac18 Posts: 276Registered User Junior Member
    I know somebody who is an Indiana resident who received the letter today. So it should be coming soon if at all for the rest of us.
  • STVSTV Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
    I am a Texas Resident I received my letter today
  • BalthezarBalthezar Posts: 1,489Registered User Senior Member
    My son just got a "Scholarship Award" letter in the mail. Although I'm going to let him open it up, the contents are driving me crazy. Has anyone got any idea what kind of money we're talking about here?
  • einstein10einstein10 Posts: 158Registered User Junior Member
    if you're out of state like 7k or 10k a year for 4 years
  • KutlessRockKutlessRock Posts: 247Registered User Junior Member
    I recieved my letter about the Trustee Scholarship today, which is 10,000 a year. I also recieved a separate letter telling me that I am a Beering Scholarship Candidate.
  • joshyo10joshyo10 Posts: 59Registered User Junior Member
    congrats kutless!
    what are your stats btw?
  • BalthezarBalthezar Posts: 1,489Registered User Senior Member
    The thing with the trustee scholarship is that it gets reduced by the amount of any other merit scholarships that you get from Purdue. That was an unfortunate revelation.
    Thanks! here are my stats. (i copied it from another thread i posted in)
    Hispanic Female OOS
    I am in a magnet Math/Science/Computer program (accepts only 30 kids out of whole district...about 30 out of 2,000)
    Intended Major: Pre-Med (will probably major in Math and minor in Bio) I dream of being an Orthopedic Surgeon

GPA: 3.89 UW/ 4.39 W
    ACT: 34 with a 12 writing
    PSAT: 185
    SAT: 1950 (didn't send)
    AP: 5: US History, US Gov, Computer Science AB, Calc BC, and AB subscore
    4: Biology

Schedule:The hardest that one can take at my school

Awards:
    Honor Roll all through high school
    Earned Academic Letter
    Participated in MMPC, MML, Sigma, AMC 10, AMC 12 and other various math competitions
    Have won numerous soccer tournaments and awards including regional National Indoor Champs
    Fresh: Alg 2 honor award, Chem honor award, Computer honor award
    Soph: Analysis honor award, Geometry honor award, Physics Honor award, MI Math Prize Competition Honors, Michigan Math League Team Regional Winners
    Junior: Cal BC Honor award, Michigan Math League Team Regional Winners, AP Scholar with Distinction
    Possible: still a slight possibility that I could become a National Hispanic Merit Scholar (won't know until the fall)

ECs:
    Swimming- 9 yrs
    Soccer- over 10 yrs total. (7 yrs select and premier and one yr JV..couldn't play school soccer last two years becuase of knee ingury and surgery)
    Spanish Club- 3 yrs (will continue next year)
    Literary Magazine- 2 yrs (will continue next year)
    Student Council- 3 yrs (Class Rep for 3 yrs and Senior Class Treasurer next year)
    NHS- 2 yrs (will continue next year. I am Treasurer this next year)
    JV Quiz Bowl- 1 yr
    State Student Council Conference 2010 committee chair

Volunteer:
    VBS teacher for 5 yrs,NC Mission trip- 2 summers,tutored special needs kids in math (1 yr),tutor in math help room (1 yr),Relay for Life-2 yrs,Read Across America- 2 yrs, Volunteer at hospital (started Junior year and will continure throughout high school)
    (have also shadowed a few doctors and will see a few surgeries)
    Help with All Saints Night at church (4 yrs),Some other mis stuff with childrens ministry at church and fixing homes in area

Leadership:
    Student Council (rep for 3 years, Senior Class Treasurer for one), NHS Treasurer (one year), Editor of Literary Magazine (10th grade), Soccer Captain (3 yrs), VBS teacher (5 years), soccer ref (5 years)

Work:
    Soccer Ref.- 5 yrs
    tutor (most was volunteer, but was paid in a few cases)
  • velleityvelleity Posts: 632Registered User Member
    hey, does anyone know how many students are invited to apply for Beering?
    I think they usually invite about 100, but i am not 100% sure.
  • youwiththefaceyouwiththeface Posts: 209Registered User Junior Member
    I want to say 100 as well. But I know they give out less two to six per year.
  • fluffysheepfluffysheep Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
    Hey a fellow beering candidate here. I asked purdue about the qualifications for beering. Apparently, you must have an SAT of >2200 and a core gpa of >3.8 using their calculations. But that's not all. some people I know pass the above standards but they weren't invited. So I think there's a quota as well.

I'm disappointed that purdue puts such a heavy emphasis on scores.
    Yeah. I have a friend you has a slighty higher GPA, one point higher on the ACT, a higher SAT score, and the same exact course load (and if anything slightly better), and he didn't get invited.

I thought that I had read somewhere once that the invitations were based on test scores and GPA, but if that is true my friend should have been invited. I wonder how else they base the invitations...

fluffysheep- What are your stats?
  • fluffysheepfluffysheep Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
    I have a 4.0 by their standards and 2350... my friend who has a >3.8 and 2260 was not invited. But I gotta say, the application essay is kind of silly. I don't know if i'm bound by some code of silence so i'll say just that much.