Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Match Question?

skysailingskysailing Posts: 55Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2012 in Questbridge Programs
Can you be named a finalist and not participate in the college match to apply to a partner school Early Decision? I'm pretty sure my family's EFC is a little more than zero, and there is one partner school that I really love in particular and would like to apply early to. Has anyone done this before? Any advice/anecdotes appreciated. :D
Post edited by skysailing on

Replies to: College Match Question?

• BluePoodleBluePoodle Posts: 181Registered User Junior Member
    Yes, you can apply to QB, become a finalist but skip the Match round. There have been Finalist who have done this waving the match round so that they could apply ED to a particular university. Then if you are not accepted ED, you can apply to QB schools RD with your QB app (if you like).
  • Youdon'tsayYoudon'tsay Posts: 16,511Registered User Senior Member
    Is there anything to support the notion that finalists won't be matched if their EFC is greater than $0? I've seen that repeated here over the years and wondering whether there's anything to it.
    Since no one answered my question, I took matters into my own hands. ;)

I went this week to a roadshow event for several selecitve colleges, some of which are QB schools. Ds and I flat-out asked one of the reps whether a QB applicant has to have a $0 EFC to get matched, and she said, yes, some schools do use that as a criteria. I didn't have the nerve to have her name them. :) This may change our QB strategy ...
  • skysailingskysailing Posts: 55Registered User Junior Member
    Most schools state their requirements on the website about whether or not $0 EFC is required. However, the $0 EFC calculation depends on the school, so it's still kinda murky.

That explains why my friends who did QB didn't get matched... only to get flooded with likely letters in the regular decision round.
    skysailing, where on the website is that info? TIA.
  • skysailingskysailing Posts: 55Registered User Junior Member
    I can't remember exactly. It's usually under the page dedicated to QuestBridge applicants found on each school's undergraduate admissions page.