Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

National College Match - 2009-2010

tokenadulttokenadult Posts: 17,473Super Moderator Senior Member
edited October 2010 in Questbridge Programs
It's been a year since the last thread opened, so it's time for a new thread about the QuestBridge

QuestBridge Home Page

National College Match

QuestBridge National College Match Program

program. Students in high school class of 2010, applying to college class of 2014, can apply to QuestBridge and, if chosen as QuestBridge finalists, can go through the National College Match program. As I type this, some QuestBridge website pages have not yet been updated for the coming application cycle, but already there is a treasure trove of resource information

QuestBridge: Student Resource Center

on the site, and you are well advised to browse the QuestBridge site to look for information and familiarize yourself with the program. And of course College Confidential participants who are current QuestBridge scholars, alumni of QuestBridge, parents of current or former QuestBridge scholars, and applicants, family members of applicants, or teachers or counselors of applicants are all invited to participate in this thread and to ask and answer questions.

Good luck to everyone applying for the QuestBridge National College Match in the 2009-2010 application cycle.
Post edited by tokenadult on

Replies to: National College Match - 2009-2010

• jazrie481jazrie481 Posts: 818- Member
    How do you apply/who qualifies for this?
  • jazrie481jazrie481 Posts: 818- Member
    Oh wait, is it only for low income students? Would anything >60k be considered as low income?
  • tomjonesisthemantomjonesistheman Posts: 2,978Registered User Senior Member
    Basically, you can still apply for it if your income is greater than 60K, but most of the applicants who are eventually finalists or match recipients are below that level, as indicated by the data. I think the average income was around 40K, since this program is only for under-privileged, disadvantaged students who have succeeded despite their hardships.

Is there anything to indicate that Finalist % rate, and Match recipients will decrease this year, because of the economy, and the ever increasing number of applicants?
  • civomorthcivomorth Posts: 241Registered User Junior Member
    when does the new application come out?
  • joeschmidtjoeschmidt Posts: 47Registered User Junior Member
    Several Questions, if anyone could answer them that would be great!

1. Would it be more advantageous to apply through National College Match or via just Early Decision/Early Action if your only concern is getting into your desired college? I'm feeling like many applicants would get into their desired schools through early decision but are rejected through the College Match Program because of the extremely low chance of being matched to your dream school.

2. Just how influential is Questbridge Finalist status or Questbridge sending in your app as opposed to regular?

Thanks!
  • ________ Posts: 440Registered User Member
    From the quick math I did during the 2008 rounds, going through questbridge is a harder % than regular/early applications. It's an incredibly low number that get accepted to each school since many people make it to the final round.
  • tokenadulttokenadult Posts: 17,473Super Moderator Senior Member
    Would it be more advantageous to apply through National College Match . . . your only concern is getting into your desired college?

In my opinion, yes. The QuestBridge finalists I know best had great results in the National College Match round and especially in the regular round.
  • forgotten620forgotten620 Posts: 41Registered User Junior Member
    anyone has a copy from last year's app? what kind and how many essay questions are there?
  • flyingllamaflyingllama Posts: 1,360Registered User Senior Member
    If I do not get matched with any schools, can I then proceed to apply to another school via ED II? Usually those deadlines are around December 15th which is after the December 1st results day of Questbridge.

It seems it would make sense since I no longer have any commitment to other schools at the time of application, right?
  • GA2012MOMGA2012MOM Posts: 4,829Registered User Senior Member
    forgotten620, there is (or has been the last two years) an 800 word essay, two 500 word essays, approximately ten, 20 word short responses, and if I remember correctly an optional 300 word essay.

My D was a match 2 years ago, so no, I don't remember the essay prompts, and they might not be the same this year anyway.

flyingllama, and ALL other applicant's, please read EVERY WORD on the QB site. Most info is available on there. The question about the EDII was brought up quite frequently in the past. Go to each school you are interested in, click on them, and read their info. They are all different, so there is no one answer to your question. If it is still not clear, e-mail QB. The staff there is very helpfull and prompt in answering your questions.

Good Luck
  • tokenadulttokenadult Posts: 17,473Super Moderator Senior Member
    please read EVERY WORD on the QB site. Most info is available on there.

Hear. Hear. Yes, most applicants last year got all the information they needed and more by looking it up on the QuestBridge site as the new application cycle's information was posted. The general information already up on the site is very helpful.
  • amber.leeamber.lee Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    What do they look for in the essays?
    would an extremely low income (under 30K) give one an advantage?
  • demonsword55demonsword55 Posts: 515Registered User Member
    Keep in mind that the colleges look at your financial information during the college match round to see if you are admitted with that scholarship. i.e. if they decide you are not low-income enough then they defer you. this can be advantageous to some and a disadvantage to others, so if you think you're borderline just become a finalist and then apply EA/ED.
  • tspritetsprite Posts: 277Registered User Junior Member
    Remember though that the match process is not all about financials. The colleges are looking to admit students based on their entire application.

My family's income is $14,000 a year but I was not matched. However, I was accepted by two great schools in RD and offered full scholarship.