Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

RPI laptops

polostlpolostl Posts: 6Registered User New Member
I am a future Business Major, attending fall 2010

I am very confused with the RPI laptop programs. I thought they offered only lenovo repair, but according to Rensselaer Computer Repair they claim they offer apple repair also. If this is true, why should i get a lenovo?

The main selling point to me is that they will give you a loaner and fix your laptop if you get lenovo.
Also i read that the software licenses don't only apply to those who have lenovo, is this true?

How much is a laptop needed for majoring in Buis?
Post edited by polostl on

Replies to: RPI laptops

• polostlpolostl Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    Also:
    Why does RPI push Lenovo so much? Rensselaer Mobile Computing Program - Overview
    It seems like they dedicated a whole site to Lenovo, but on Rensselaer Computer Store they seem to offer everything.

Does RPI have a loaner program for other laptops? I noticed the majority of students had a lenovo.
  • cesium55cesium55 Posts: 225Registered User Junior Member
    1) Homogeneity helps tech support more quickly identify the situation, as they've probably seen the problem before.
    2) The software is available to every student (regardless of the choice of laptop), but you'd probably need windows installed on your system to run some of it. I think macs can run windows now, so that shouldn't be much of an issue.
    3) You definitely need a laptop. I don't know much about the business major curriculum, but I do know you use Excel a lot and at least some VS.Net. There are probably plenty of other required tools as well.
    But will they still repair the laptop for you?
  • benellisbenellis Posts: 462Registered User Member
    @polostl: RPI has a deal with IBM and Lenovo. The official RPI laptop is a very good Lenovo Thinkpad. In the past, the RPI laptop has been a Lenovo computer that hasn't been made available for sale yet. The Lenovo they offer (they haven't announced the 2010 computer, but I believe it will be a Lenovo Thinkpad W510 or similar) is a very good computer and a pretty good deal if you plan on using a PC.

Personally, I'm a Mac user, so I won't be buying their laptop.
    Why do you stay a mac user then?
  • Rpistudent12Rpistudent12 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    You might want to try and find a buissness major that can better answer that question. Me personally as an Engineer need the lenovo, it makes it so much easier. I have lab partners who don't, and they are always worrying about having the right software... You can download it obviously, RPI makes almost all of it's software available it's just inconvient not to have it already.

That being said- if there's any major where needing it isn't a heavly needed- MGMT.
    Where can i find a buis major to ask?
  • laxmaster92laxmaster92 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    You can try the accepted students board/forum-

http://apply.rpi.edu/engage
    thanks bud
  • benellisbenellis Posts: 462Registered User Member
    @polostl: I stay a mac user because I've used them for years and I like them better. Also, can get a mac that will be equivalent (at least in the areas I care about) to the RPI laptop for roughly the same price.
  • SoubkiaSoubkia Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    Is buying a laptop required? Or is it simply having a laptop that is required?
  • kgrmomkgrmom Posts: 81Registered User Junior Member
    Must have one. Don't have to it there.