Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

downloading at rice?

bjones1024bjones1024 Posts: 8Registered User New Member
edited August 2012 in Rice University
How strict are the downloading policies at Rice? Does Rice only take action if they actually receive a copyright notice from a third party (RIAA, etc) or do they actively police your internet activity on their own? Do they scan students' internet traffic or bittorrent traffic to see if they are visiting a download website or downloading a copyrighted torrent?
Post edited by bjones1024 on

Replies to: downloading at rice?

• silentsailorsilentsailor Posts: 1,266Registered User Senior Member
    I got away with torrenting for four years and never had a problem. My roommate got a $100 fine and a hold on her account for downloading one song. Enforcement is present but inconsistent.
  • AntariusAntarius Posts: 4,413Registered User Senior Member
    If Rice receives a copyright notice from someone (RIAA etc.) they will put a hold on your account and/or give you a warning. I don't think they actively police it though.
  • bjones1024bjones1024 Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    silentsailor,
    How long was it after your girlfriend downloaded before she got the fine and account hold? Is it usually within a few days after downloading that IT takes action, or does it take weeks or months?

Thanks!
  • AntariusAntarius Posts: 4,413Registered User Senior Member
    It is likely content based. Certain movies/MP3's etc. are policed more by the RIAA etc. One single file could grab their attention, while someone downloading obscure/older content may never get caught.

Rice doesn't actively police, they just enforce if notified.